The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:52:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lyatoshinsky's 3rd Symphony and Grazhyna on Chandos

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lyatoshinsky's 3rd Symphony and Grazhyna on Chandos  (Read 1931 times)
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 12:31:33 am »

IMHO better Lyatoshinsky's Third cd is this:

Meanwhile more Chandos would be welcome.
I listened to both recordings today. The problem with the Gnedash performance IMHO is the shrill recording on Russian Disc. The performance is fine and has a rugged Ukrainian authenticity but I think that I'll be mainly listening to Karabits version, which is brilliantly recorded, has a more interesting coupling and includes the original finale.
Dear Vandermolen
I agree that Russian Disc needs a good remastering and that Grazhyna is a more attractive coupling,but i don't think that "new" Finale is better.However now there is also:
http://klassichaus.us/Lyatoshinsky-Slavonic-Ov-Sym--No--1.php
Best
Report Spam   Logged
tappell
Level 1

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 12:31:38 pm »

If I may reply, I purchased the Marco Polo set on first release from a classical music shop, the Longplayer in Canterbury. I have listened to them, particularly the 1st, on a regular basis ever since, and have a very large and varied collection, yet never tire of them. For me they are distinctive in the scoring of memorable melodies, and climaxes.

Comparisons are largely irrelevant but for me they have echoes of Rachmaninov's 1st Symphony, another of my all time favourites, plus perhaps Scriabin's 1st and 2nd Symphonies.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 10:01:09 am »

I have all the symphonies and "Grazhyna" in the Marco Polo set. I would not normally duplicate such repertoire. Should I??
I don't think so Colin, I enjoyed all those recordings and, as you say,  you get Grazhyna as well coupled with Symphony 1.

You need to remember that I am an OCDCD nutter and have to have every recording of works I especially like, such as the Lyatoshynsky symphony. Actually I rather like the recording of symphonies 4 and 5 on CPO  ::).
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 10:03:57 am »

IMHO better Lyatoshinsky's Third cd is this:

Meanwhile more Chandos would be welcome.
I listened to both recordings today. The problem with the Gnedash performance IMHO is the shrill recording on Russian Disc. The performance is fine and has a rugged Ukrainian authenticity but I think that I'll be mainly listening to Karabits version, which is brilliantly recorded, has a more interesting coupling and includes the original finale.
Dear Vandermolen
I agree that Russian Disc needs a good remastering and that Grazhyna is a more attractive coupling,but i don't think that "new" Finale is better.However now there is also:
http://klassichaus.us/Lyatoshinsky-Slavonic-Ov-Sym--No--1.php
Best

Thank you Toby E. The third movement of the Karabits was on BBC Radio 3 'Record Review' this morning. I'm not sure that I prefer the original last movement either but was pleased to have the opportunity to hear it. I even like the Mravinsky version of No.3 which gets a bad press. For me the recording quality of the Karabits version is a key factor and I've been playing the CD a lot since obtaining it.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 01:46:30 pm »

Thank you, Jeffrey. It has always struck me that the Marco Polo versions, although the recording may be a trifle raw, are full of energy and commitment and the music makes very full impact.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 07:54:03 pm »

Thank you, Jeffrey. It has always struck me that the Marco Polo versions, although the recording may be a trifle raw, are full of energy and commitment and the music makes very full impact.

A pleasure Colin. One day it might be worth your hearing the new Karabits for the quality of sound but I don't see why you shouldn't be perfectly happy with those earlier Marco Polo/Naxos releases which were much better recorded than the ones which appeared on Russian Disc.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 03:16:17 pm »

I bought the Karabits "album" (3rd Symphony and Grazhyna) on Apple's Itunes, but the files are corrupted - they have no sound content!  Has anyone else had this issue?!
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 07:21:33 am »

I bought the Karabits "album" (3rd Symphony and Grazhyna) on Apple's Itunes, but the files are corrupted - they have no sound content!  Has anyone else had this issue?!

No, but I wouldn't touch Apple's Itunes with the bargepole I keep specially for not touching things with.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 10:47:53 am »

No, but I wouldn't touch Apple's Itunes with the bargepole I keep specially for not touching things with.

Oh, how come?  Is the quality bad?
Report Spam   Logged
guest264
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 08:58:43 pm »

I still wonder about the remark "Sense of adventure" = "No sales".

I would have thought the first recording of a work would have at the very least have compelled all significant libraries worldwide to obtain a copy +curious collectors+ sufficiently well marketed duped general classically interested public.

Would love to know the economics here. How many sales are we talking about vs cost of production etc.?

I also still wonder about the choice of Lyatoshinsky No. 3 (recorded several times) in a shinier new edition vs something new no matter what the merits of the work in question. To make it commercial simply link it to the major figures of the era Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg etc and the drama of their times. Doesn't that draw people in? My list of composers was very much linked to that.

Robert
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2019, 10:54:27 pm »

If I'm going to BUY something, I want as physical CD that I have for ever. Otherwise I'll use a subscription service.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 11:55:16 am »

If I'm going to BUY something, I want as physical CD that I have for ever. Otherwise I'll use a subscription service.

I used to be the same.  2000 CDs later I am now wishing I had the free space!

So anyway, Apple has confirmed to me that the album as released to them lacks any sound.  They have alerted their engineering team who in turn have let the record label know.  Bizarre that something as fundamental as this wouldn't have been checked prior to release...! Anyway, they have refunded me.  They can't give a date for when ("or if") the record label will correct the album.

So if anyone else had had issues with this album as purchased on Itunes, this is why.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 07:38:44 pm »

Yes, I have piles of CDs as well, and I'm trying not to buy more. But streaming all the Lyatoshinsky symphonies off Spotify or Idagio is much better value, IMO.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 10:53:08 am »

Same here although recently I've taken to downloading symphonies not available on CD and then burning them so that I have a hard copy, as in the case of Shchedrin's great First Symphony conducted by Anosov.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 01:11:53 pm »

If you want SACD quality Spotify is crap; that's why I still buy (SA)CD's. What resolution does Idago offer? 320kb?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: