The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:23:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Hill and Van Hoof

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hill and Van Hoof  (Read 1650 times)
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 09:17:55 pm »

I'm afraid I rather agree with you.
Report Spam   Logged
guest704
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 06:37:04 am »

I've listened to all the Hill (the ones that are recorded) and van Hoof's symphonies. I understand the criticism of the string quartets arrangements for orchestra/string orchestra of the former, but there are some that are very good and somewhat memorable, e.g. 3, 5, 7-10. Another detail about it is the performances quality. Most of them don't do justice to the music. To mention an example, the No. 2 is an uplifting utterance, but the only recording I'm aware of is sadly rather weak. Anyway, we should be thankful with what we have, I guess.

On the other hand, van Hoof benefits from better interpretations. The symphonies 1, 2 and 4 are the most consistent IMO, sounding a bit like Strauss, though. The 6th Symphony has a too short last movement, lasting just 10 seconds, which makes me think that the composer couldn't finish it.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 11:31:42 am »

The Symphony No.6 in B flat major by van Hoof was left unfinished at the time of the composer’s death. The first three movements were fully scored but van Hoof had only scored the first three bars of the Finale, an assertive brass fanfare playing for ten seconds. It is (or – rather – should have been) in four movements of broadly equal length.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: