The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:12:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco's Violin Concerto No.3

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco's Violin Concerto No.3  (Read 228 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2018, 05:16:49 pm »

They say that confession is good for the soul! So, in that spirit.......... ;D

I have never been a fan of chamber or instrumental music, much preferring the sound of an orchestra or orchestra and chorus. This is a terrible thing to admit to but there we are........!

I recently ordered the new Naxos release of Castelnuovo-Tedesco's Violin Concerto No.3. Now I discover that Castelnuovo-Tedesco wrote the work as a duo for violin and piano. It is not a Violin Concerto in the generally expected sense of a concerto for violin and orchestra.

I did not do my homework!

I do not expect or deserve any sympathy ::)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 05:49:25 pm »

I have long wanted to hear this (since the 1970s when I learned he had composed three Violin Concertos), but am disappointed to learn it is a chamber work.  >:( :( :o ??? :-\ :-X

Would it work as a Concerto if orchestrated?
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 05:58:15 pm »

I have long wanted to hear this (since the 1970s when I learned he had composed three Violin Concertos), but am disappointed to learn it is a chamber work.  >:( :( :o ??? :-\ :-X

Would it work as a Concerto if orchestrated?

Have just listened to short extracts on iTunes.  Answering my own question, it sounds as if it might work as a Concerto if orchestrated.  In such a format I would buy it but not as a chamber work.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 03:41:46 am »

I have never been a fan of chamber or instrumental music, much preferring the sound of an orchestra or orchestra and chorus.

Nonetheless, during some period of your listening career did you at least familiarize yourself with many of the recognized classics in these areas (chamber and instrumental music)?

Or is all this utterly dark territory for you, - and Beethoven's Late Quartets, Franck's Violin Sonata, or Brahms's Clarinet Quintet (among the myriad examples one could offer) only
works you might now and then have seen reference too, but never actually heard?

It's not quite so oddly exclusionary as ViolinConcerto's (Tobias) even more narrowly drawn enthusiasm, - but still peculiar such a grand and boundless territory would so easily be lopped
off from your musical culture and exposure.

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 03:49:44 pm »

Off to listen to Sir Eugene Goossens Oratorio "The Apocalypse" and Imants Kalnins Symphony No.4 and Cello Concerto.

Too little time to listen to so much!! When do I find time to listen to the great masterpieces of the orchestral repertoire: Beethoven, Brahms etc etc.

There are other interests too which absorb my time.........

We all make choices. Some are inconceivable or unconscionable to others!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: