The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:23:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

URGENT: many breakages

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: URGENT: many breakages  (Read 616 times)
guest182
« on: October 23, 2018, 06:31:42 am »

Wanting to see what we have of Frankel's eight symphonies, I looked to-day at the Index to the British and Irish Music board. But what I found was only a big gap between BE and I, as well as other gaps and incorrect post counts. Presumably this is an error at Media-Fire (an organization I have never trusted).

Anyway, the board in question has been a cornerstone of our forum ever since Mr. Grew, in 2011, kindly offered a place in it to refugees from the Unsung Composers. It is of the utmost importance that we keep it up to date and accurate.

I do not know how long the Index has been in this state, nor whether any more posts at Media-Fire are now corrupted or simply lost. I did make a back-up a couple of years ago, but it may be that others have done so more recently.

I would suggest that whoever is in charge (if any one) now turn his or her attention to a careful repairing of the whole of the British and Irish Music board and away from a blind deleting of other people's posts for unintelligible reasons.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

djarvie
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 08:54:20 am »

Everything looks OK to me.   The archive appears to be complete (no gap) and so is the catalogue (2017 text file).   We have Frankel's 5th Symphony and violin concerto - both of them download correctly.
Report Spam   Logged
guest182
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 09:43:18 am »

Thank you Mr. Jarvie. That's very curious; I see:

A Folders 0, Files 43
Ba-Be "Many files or folders"
Bi-Bo Folders 0, Files 74
then a long vertical gap, and then
I Folders 0, Files 1
J Folders 0, Files 88
K Folders 0, Files 11
then another long vertical gap, and then
Sa-Sp Folders 0, Files 52
St-Sw Folders 0, Files 100
T Folders 0, Files 11

and that's all I get. The result is consistent, exactly the same every time.

Something seems to be generating the various parts dynamically, just as it's being displayed.

I will investigate further. I'm using Windows 7 and Firefox for this.

Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 12:42:57 pm »

My examination of the British and Irish Music Archive suggests that djarvie is correct. Everything seems in order.

I have downloaded almost all of the works in the catalogue. In the extremely improbable event of Mediafire disappearing from the planet these downloads could be restored.

We were indebted to Albion for collecting the vast number of downloads and creating the huge catalogue of British Music. Unfortunately Albion has not been active on this forum since February.

However Albion has no connection to or with the Administration of this forum. To imply that he has any responsibility for the "blind deleting of other people's posts for unintelligible reasons" is both inaccurate and insulting. Only one (now ex-) member has had posts deleted in recent weeks. The reasons for that have been explained repeatedly and are far from "unintelligible".

Repeated references, in accusatory terms and as comments added to the end of posts, to the action taken by the Administration are unacceptable. Members have complained about this and are (to be blunt) fed up with such repetition.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: