The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:44:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Bulgarian Music

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bulgarian Music  (Read 3127 times)
fr8nks
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2012, 03:43:52 pm »

Thanks, Sicmu, for the Goleminov Symphony No.3. It is a composition that I've waited a long time to hear. The sound of this LP is fantastic due to your efforts in cleaning it up. Do you have his Violin Concerto?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 04:01:04 pm »

Symphonic Episodes by Alexander Raichev

Bulgarian Radio Symphony Orchestra
Milan Nachev, Conductor
Radio Broadcast, September, 1998

From the collection of Karl Miller

Bio from an Opera Page at the University of Pittsburgh

Raichev studied with Vladigerov at the State Musical Academy in Sofia, graduating in 1947, then with Kodaly at the Budapest Conservatory (1949-50). Later he taught at the Bulgarian State Conservatory, where he was Rector from 1970 to 1978. Raichev's music shows the influence of Bach, Mozart and Beethoven, as well as Shostakovich, Stravinsky and Britten, and he has written in all genres.

His operas show new developments in his style: Most (The Bridge), 1965, is the first of two dealing with the struggle against fascism in Bulgaria; urban popular songs contribute a contemporary feel, while dramatic tension is built up in the music.

The realistic treatment in Trevoga (Anxiety), 1974, dealing with nationalist troubles before 1944, is an important development in Bulgarian opera.

For the large-scale Khan Asparouh (1981), written to commemorate the 13th century of the Bulgarian state, Raichev took a historical subject, the settlement in the 7th century of the Balkan region by nomads from the Byzantine empire, led by Khan Asparouh.

Both this and Anxiety are traditional number operas in verismo style; the musical language is modern, polytonal and dissonant. Vasheto prisatvie (Your Presence), 1969 was the earliest Bulgarian radio opera to be broadcast.

Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 01:46:34 am »

Many thanks, Colin, for the Vladigerov Piano Concertos 4 and 5 :) :)

With the addition of these two works, it now appears that we have access to all of the major orchestral compositions (all the concertos, both symphonies and then some) of this wonderful composer either available for download here or on disc :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 01:28:30 pm »

With the addition of these two works, it now appears that we have access to all of the major orchestral compositions (all the concertos, both symphonies and then some) of this wonderful composer either available for download here or on disc :)

Many thanks also from me Colin!  Is Vladigerov's piano concerto No 3 recorded?  I see we have 1, 2, 4 and 5....
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 02:10:04 pm »

Many thanks also from me Colin!  Is Vladigerov's piano concerto No 3 recorded?  I see we have 1, 2, 4 and 5....

Yes....but it is available on cd (Bulgarian National Radio) so cannot be uploaded unfortunately :(  It is available for download if you are prepared to pay Amazon :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 02:52:23 pm »

Yes....but it is available on cd (Bulgarian National Radio) so cannot be uploaded unfortunately :(  It is available for download if you are prepared to pay Amazon :)

Aah ok many thanks Colin!
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 08:59:11 pm »

Music of Alexander Raichev

1-4  Symphony No. 2 “New Prometheus’
USSR State Symphony Orchestra
Yevgeny Svetlanov

5-7  Symphony No. 5

Bulgarian RTV Chamber Orchestra
Vasil Lolov
[url]

I am not aware of any commercial releases of these works.  The first is a recording of a live performance, date unknown.
Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 12:00:02 am »

I cannot download the Raichev 2nd and 5th.  Is there something wrong with the link? Malito
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 02:03:35 am »

Music of Alexander Raichev...

1-4  Symphony No. 2 “New Prometheus’
USSR State Symphony Orchestra
Yevgeny Svetlanov...

I am not aware of any commercial releases of these works.  The first is a recording of a live performance, date unknown.

The performance dates from 1965, and was issued on a Melodiya LP shortly thereafter. No CD release ever, as far as I know.

A magnificent work! Probably my favorite Bulgarian symphony.
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 02:53:25 pm »

I cannot download the Raichev 2nd and 5th.  Is there something wrong with the link? Malito

You need to copy the LAST line of jowcol's post and paste it into your browser.
jowcol hyperlinked accidentally the last TWO lines.
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 06:38:27 pm »

Sorry about the hyperlink error. I've fixed it.   My day job went out of control for the last three weeks, but in a good way.
Report Spam   Logged

jowcol
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 04:10:49 pm »

Petko Stainov -- Symphonic Scherzo (1930)
Bulgarian RTVSO
Vasil Stefanov

Radio broadcast, date unknown.

For those of you who may be interested, there is a good site dedicated to Staynov and his music at: http://www.petkostaynovmusic.com/
Report Spam   Logged

Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 10:19:34 am »

Lyubomir Pipkov

Symphony No 1 in D minor

1. Allegro moderato
2. Lento
3. Allegro scherzando
4. Allegro moderato

Sofia PO Iliev

Symphony No 4 for string orchestra

1, Allegro ma non troppo
2. Lento

Sofia Soloists Chamber Ensemble Kazandjiev

I don't think either of these works are generally available anywhere; or I can't find them, anyway. The first symphony is a particularly strong work which has previously been mentioned in this forum and is well worth hearing. The source is an old Balkanton LP that I bought in Sofia in 1988. I have done what I can to remove clicks and scratches.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 09:06:32 pm »

I have since noticed that the Pipkov symphonies above were at one time posted to the UC archive - but the links are broken now.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 05:14:42 pm »

I've just uploaded Lazar Nikolov's Piano Concerto No 2, sourced from an old Balkanton LP I picked up in Sofia in 1988. The other side has his 1st symphony, but I see that is in the archive already.

The Bulgarian Composers' Union has this to say:

Lazar Nikolov graduated from the State Academy of Music in Sofia majoring in Piano and Composition under Professor Dimitar Nenov (1946) and Professor Pancho Vladigerov (1947). He taught Chamber Music at the National Music High-School in Sofia (1957) and Score Reading at the State Academy of Music (1961). He was promoted full professor in 1980.

From 1992 to 1999 he chaired the Union of Bulgarian Composers.

He composed two operas; six symphonies; three concertos; Metamorphoses 1-4 and other chamber works; symphonies for 13 strings and other works for symphony, chamber and string orchestra; 25 sonatas for various instruments; choral songs; music to over 30 film and theatre performances composed during the period 1954-68.

His work played an important role in the development of the Bulgarian music in the second half of the 20th century. Together with Konstantin  Iliev, he was among the pioneers of the Bulgarian music vanguard. His Concerto for Strings (1949, performed in 1951) was the first piece, which connected the composer with the new European twentieth century music. In the 1960s he took part in contemporary music festivals such as the Warsaw Autumn Festival (1962, 64, 68); the Berlin Musik-Biennale (1969, 73, 79); the Zagreb Biennial (1967) or the festival in Witten, Germany (where a chamber ensemble conducted by Ventzislav Nikolov premiered his Metamorphoses ?3, 1998). His compositions were performed in Europe, USA, Russia, etc. and were recorded for the Bulgarian National Radio, WDR, FR-3, SRB and other foreign radio stations. Peters and Schott-Mainz published his works. A number of eminent Bulgarian performers made their name as fine interpreters of contemporary music by performing his compositions.

His music won a number of national awards. In 1992 the Académie Internationale des Beaux-Arts Paris-Sofia awarded him the first prize and a gold medal for total work and contribution to the development of the contemporary music. He also received the Doctor honoris causa title by the Academy of Music and Dance Art in Plovdiv (1997) and the State Academy of Music (2002).

Dates were 1922-2005.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: