The Art-Music Forum
December 12, 2018, 09:32:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Warning to all Members

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning to all Members  (Read 321 times)
guest54
« on: October 03, 2018, 09:46:36 am »

There are wreckers abroad, and I advise you now to save any vital data you have. The reason I say this is that some unauthorised person has secretly got into the administrator account and changed the password.

Whoever changed the administator account has not had the decency to consult or inform me, who am one of the two founders (and namers) of this long-running forum. I am now locked out of it.

There has already been wild and ignorant talk of the wholesale deletion of other people's posts; whether this comes from the password deleters themselves or from some other agents I cannot say.

What I can say, is BE ON YOUR GUARD!

Report Spam   Logged

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 04:52:28 pm »

Mr Grew (or whoever is actually lurking behind your login name)

You wandered off from this forum over a year, without making a single announcement or saying as much as goodbye

We have no idea if the individual now lurking behind your name is actually the former founder of this forum, or an imposter

Either way, you relinquished the Moderator function to others - apparently willingly, since you gave them the moderator passwords?

We haven't really missed you, and your mercurial management of these boards is not something we long to see restored, thank you.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, either you - or an indivivual masquerading as you - is encouraging (c)opyright infringement, and that's not something I can condone either.

I fear, King Lear, that having split up your kingdom on your own recognisances., you must learn to live with the results of your folly.
Report Spam   Logged
the Administration
Administrator
Level 3

Times thanked: 37

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 11:40:05 pm »

This is all very sad!

Instead of responding to the statement issued by me on behalf of the current Administration-

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,1348.msg33405/topicseen.html#msg33405

and fully endorsed by my co-administrator Maris (Latvian) on the thread linked above, Sydney has chosen to describe us as "wreckers" and has advised members to save "any vital data" they may have. He talks about "wild and ignorant talk of the wholesale deletion of other peoples' posts".

I am not going to repeat the content of the statement linked above. But I want to reassure members that the administrators who took up the responsibility back in March when Sydney voluntarily and for his own reasons relinquished the role are the same people who now continue to administer this forum. We are not "wreckers". No "vital data" belonging to members is at any risk.

There will be no "wholesale deletion" of posts. In the seven months that the current administrators have been responsible for the forum the only posts deleted (around three in total) have been those which were clearly links to non-musical, "dodgy" websites put up by members who posted once and then promptly disappeared. We also deleted a post which provided a link to a pirate site specifically targetted by the FBI.

What will happen is that the forum's established and agreed policy will be enforced. This was explained in the linked statement. The administrators have a legal and, at least as importantly, an ethical responsibility to do so.

What we are determined on however is to ensure that only those posts which replicate commercially available cds derived from You Tube are deleted. This will involve careful checking. We have no intention and wish to avoid deleting anything which complies with forum policy. There are thousands of links on this site to performances of music which do not derive from commercial cds. These links are safe and will most certainly not be removed or interfered with.

Neil's comments above are blunt and harsh. Very sadly however we have to say that the essence of his post is both to the point and correct.
Report Spam   Logged
Latvian
Level 5

Times thanked: 42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 01:24:49 pm »

Thank you for your clear and measured response to Sydney's post, Colin. And thanks to Neil for your blunt and accurate assessment. Sadly, it's a distinct possibility that "Sydney" is no longer Sydney, although that would be a less upsetting explanation than the possibility that there are