The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:42:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Warning to all Members

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning to all Members  (Read 1883 times)
guest54
« on: October 03, 2018, 09:46:36 am »

There are wreckers abroad, and I advise you now to save any vital data you have. The reason I say this is that some unauthorised person has secretly got into the administrator account and changed the password.

Whoever changed the administator account has not had the decency to consult or inform me, who am one of the two founders (and namers) of this long-running forum. I am now locked out of it.

There has already been wild and ignorant talk of the wholesale deletion of other people's posts; whether this comes from the password deleters themselves or from some other agents I cannot say.

What I can say, is BE ON YOUR GUARD!

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 04:37:15 pm »

For what it's worth I've done some booklet-note writing for a small CD company (Alto) and even suggested some releases (invariably rejected) and selected a couple of cover images. These small companies depend on people buying hard-copies of their CDs. Therefore I don't think that it is right to post copies here of You Tube videos of, for example, complete works in identical recordings to ones which are still commercially available. I wrote the notes for the final five releases on Alto of music by Miaskovsky/Myaskovsky. Occasionally I used to be asked if I could send copies of my notes to people who had purchased the Warner boxed set of complete Miaskovsky symphonies, which had very sketchy, almost non-existent, notes. I always politely refused, whilst directing anyone interested to the Myaskovsky RU website (probably now deleted in view of our current relationship with Russia) which contained lots of useful information available for free. This was because I thought that it was unfair to the record company to undrcut them in this way, especially as they produced super-budget CDs. Occasionaly I'm sure I've posted stuff which is commercially available but always short extracts or a sample of the CD rather than the whole CD. From now I only intend to post material which is otherwise unavailable such as the Gruner Hegge recording of Klaus Egge's First Symphony or Gordon Jacob's Concerto for Two Pianos.
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 12:57:30 am »

As the joint founder and present owner of this forum I want to give members the truth about recent events.

For ten years or so the forum ran very smoothly. There was only ever one password.

About six months ago, because of advancing age, I began to look into handing the administrative tasks to others. I approached eight members who seemed the most reliable types and the most frequent posters. Each of them refused to take up the task, giving various reasons for their refusal.

I was nevertheless obliged to give up active administration for a short time, but I left the system password with all eight members, for use if any emergency arose. I heard nothing more from any of them.

When I recovered I found that member Dundonnell had assumed the administrative role, without telling me. In many posts he referred to himself as "the administrator of this forum".

I let that situation continue until he began arbitrarily to threaten the deletion of posts by all and sundry for incomprehensible reasons.

At that point I decided he was not suitable for the administrative task, and I resumed the role myself. I informed all members of what I had done and of the reason for it. And to avoid confusion I assigned a new, simple password to the administraor's account. All went well for a few days.

Then, lo and behold, some hacker took over the administrative account, and Dundonnell began posting as though he were still administring our forum.

I have asked him to tell me who hacked the administrator account, what the pirate password is, and who else (if any one) knows it. But so far he has refused to say.

The fact is, that Dundonnell was dismissed as administrator on 28th September 2018 because of his unsuitability for the role. He has had no legitimate administrative role at this forum since 28th September 2018.

I solemnly affirm the truth of every word I have written in this posting.

S.G. - forum founder and owner

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: