The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:28:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Imants Kalnins Symphonies Nos. 5 & 7, Oboe Concerto, Santa Cruz

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Imants Kalnins Symphonies Nos. 5 & 7, Oboe Concerto, Santa Cruz  (Read 965 times)
guest264
« on: September 16, 2018, 10:10:57 pm »

https://www.mdt.co.uk/kalnins-symphonies-oboe-concerto-lakstigala-maris-sirmais-skani-2cds.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 01:59:21 am »

Would you like to add any further detail to those of us who might have some interest in the composer you are posting about or should we instinctively know what you mean?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 03:57:07 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imants_Kalni%C5%86%C5%A1

and-

IMANTS KALNINS: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

1960:      Ancient Dances for orchestra: 20 minutes
1963:      Cello Concerto: 17 minutes      +  (Latvian Music Information Centre cd)
1964:      Symphony No.1: 39 minutes   *
1965:      Symphony No.2: 33 minutes  *
                Cantata “Two Obelisks” for mezzo-soprano, male chorus and orchestra: 14 minutes
1966:      Concerto for Orchestra: 20 minutes
1967:      October Oratorio for narrator, soloists, chorus and orchestra: 39 minutes
1968:      Symphony No.3: 19 minutes   *
1973:      Symphony No.4 “Rock Symphony”: 49 minutes    *  + (Latvian Music Information Centre cd)
                Oratorio “The Poet and the Mermaid” for soprano, tenor, chorus and orchestra: 42 minutes
1977:      Oratorio “Morning Hours” for two narrators, mezzo-soprano, tenor, bass, chorus and orchestra: 51 minutes
1984:      Cantata “Cement” for chorus and orchestra: 5 minutes
1979:      Symphony No.5: 45 minutes      *     +  (Skani cd)
1989:      Christmas Cantata for soloist, chorus and orchestra: 20 minutes
2001:      Symphony No.6 for chorus and orchestra: 60 minutes    *
2015:      Symphony No.7       + (Skani cd)
                Oboe Concerto        +  (Skani cd)

and

Latvian Folk Song Suite for orchestra

Hope this helps a little.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 10:36:52 am »

The extracts I listened to on You Tube from Symphony 5 sounded of great interest. One commentator compared it with Respighi's 'Church Windows' and Symphony 4 by Braga Santos, which immediately aroused my interest as they are two of my favourite works.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 04:52:49 pm »

IMHO his Symphony n°4 recalls Les Baxter or Lalo Schifrin
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 07:16:48 pm »

I first encountered the Fifth Symphony on a Melodiya LP around 1980 and have loved the work ever since. I found the other three works on this new recording distinctly less impressive when Latvian Radio broadcast their premieres a couple of years ago.

That being said, I welcome any new recording of Latvian symphonic music and I hope this one brings Kalnins a wider audience internationally.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 12:59:17 am »

I consider Kalnins to be one of my truly great "discoveries" of recent years.  I haven't heard a note by the man I haven't enjoyed.  This release is a "must have" for me, notwithstanding the fact that I have pretty much all of these pieces in perfectly decent downloaded performances acquired via AMF.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 09:02:12 am »

I've ordered the new CD. Actually a double album and not cheap but am really looking forward to receiving it and was v impressed by the extracts from Symphony 5 that I heard on You Tube. I see that there is a CD transfer of the Melodiya LP from a Russian outlet but that would take a long time to arrive.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 06:54:47 pm »

Actually, all of Kalnins' symphonies, as well as the other works in this new set, are available in our downloads section. The version of the Fifth Symphony is Sinaisky's recording on Melodiya, mentioned in this discussion.

My uploads are at: http://www.mediafire.com/?uoc5niaudtik9. The first three symphonies were uploaded by another forum member. Just go to the Downloads folder, then to the Latvian Music subfolder.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 09:42:36 pm »

Actually, all of Kalnins' symphonies, as well as the other works in this new set, are available in our downloads section. The version of the Fifth Symphony is Sinaisky's recording on Melodiya, mentioned in this discussion.

My uploads are at: http://www.mediafire.com/?uoc5niaudtik9. The first three symphonies were uploaded by another forum member. Just go to the Downloads folder, then to the Latvian Music subfolder.

Thank you!
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 10:15:43 am »

The 5th Symphony is excellent - just listening to the new recording. Seems to show some influence of Shostakovich and maybe Vasks but in no sense derivative. A great discovery - through this forum  :)
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 04:10:10 am »

Sorry, I could not locate Kalnin's 4th and 6th symphonies here, can you help?
Also there are other composers with the last name of Kalnins in the download section. Were they all family?
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 09:56:26 pm »

Also there are other composers with the last name of Kalnins in the download section. Were they all family?

Symphonies Nos. 4, 5 & 6 are in this post:

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,533.msg6333/topicseen.html#msg6333

Possibly you were unable to retrieve it if you weren't searching with diacritical markings.

Jānis and Alfrēds Kalniņš were father and son. Imants Kalniņš is not a known relation of theirs. There is also a composer named Indulis Kalniņš, who is also not related to any of the previous. Actually, one of my paternal grandmothers' maiden name was Kalniņš, again no relation. While not quite a "Smith" or "Jones" it's a fairly common surname in Latvia.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 12:36:36 am »

Symphonies Nos. 4, 5 & 6 are in this post:

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,533.msg6333/topicseen.html#msg6333

Possibly you were unable to retrieve it if you weren't searching with diacritical markings.

Jānis and Alfrēds Kalniņš were father and son. Imants Kalniņš is not a known relation of theirs. There is also a composer named Indulis Kalniņš, who is also not related to any of the previous. Actually, one of my paternal grandmothers' maiden name was Kalniņš, again no relation. While not quite a "Smith" or "Jones" it's a fairly common surname in Latvia.
Dear Latvian
Thank for your details.There is also Aldonis Kalnins (perhaps not related)
https://lv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldonis_Kalni%C5%86%C5%A1
Best
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 01:24:42 pm »

Thank you for the reminder, Toby. Yes, Aldonis is not related to the others.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: