The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:19:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Eugene Goossens on Lyrita

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eugene Goossens on Lyrita  (Read 595 times)
guest251
« on: September 07, 2018, 03:47:25 pm »

A recording of a Goossens work (The Apocalypse) I had never even heard of is due to appear on Lyrita in November, doubtless courtesy of the Itter archive:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eugene-Goossens-Grant-Dickson-bass/dp/B07GWSQJGQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1536331295&sr=1-2&keywords=lyrita
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest128
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 11:16:36 pm »

There's an old recording of this somewhere in the Downloads (or perhaps it's at Unsung Composers).  Chances are it's the same recording Lyrita is set to re-issue.  The piece was fine as I recall, - but not so much as to receive further listening from me, of which it is probably deserving.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 01:07:51 am »

There's an old recording of this somewhere in the Downloads (or perhaps it's at Unsung Composers).  Chances are it's the same recording Lyrita is set to re-issue.  The piece was fine as I recall, - but not so much as to receive further listening from me, of which it is probably deserving.

It is the same performance. Glad to see the work on disc. (Wondering though what has happened to the rest of the Daniel Jones symphonies promised by Lyrita for this year.)
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 07:56:54 pm »

Sounds fascinating. I've always liked Myer Fredman's Bax recordings.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 02:41:52 pm »

Well, I just heard this - an extraordinary work although difficult to grasp on one hearing. By the end (and it is a long work) I was moved and wanted to hear it again. It is a very powerful and very well orchestrated work. The audience at the live concert (Sydney Opera House, 1982) certainly seem to have loved it judging by the enthusiasm of their applause at the end. I'm sure that it would be a great experience to hear it live. I found Part 2 more gripping and memorable than Part 1 but that may change on subsequent hearings. Certainly must be heard.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 03:01:08 pm »

I am just about to listen to the work, Jeffrey :)

We could now do with a cd recording of the Phantasy Concerto for Violin and orchestra: one of the very few violin concertos of its kind not so far recorded.

Btw is that a photograph of Alan Rawsthorne? I did not know you liked his music.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 10:45:10 am »

I am just about to listen to the work, Jeffrey :)

We could now do with a cd recording of the Phantasy Concerto for Violin and orchestra: one of the very few violin concertos of its kind not so far recorded.

Btw is that a photograph of Alan Rawsthorne? I did not know you liked his music.

Yes Colin, it's Rawsthorne. I got fed up with Sir Granville as my avatar! I especially like Rawsthorne's 'Symphonic Studies', Piano Concero No.2 and his fine film score to 'The Cruel Sea'. He's someone whose music I have appreciated more with time. I shall be greatly interested to hear what you think of the Goossens 'Apocalypse'.

I also with that Chandos had recorded Goossens's Symphony 2 as well as Symphony 1 (Richard Hickox's last recording I think).
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 10:25:08 pm »

I am very impressed by "The Apocalypse". We had an off-air recording of the Sydney performance on here (it should really now be removed of course!) but it is good to hear the work in remastered sound. More listenings are required though to fully appreciate it.

Delighted to know that you like Rawsthorne. He is almost completely forgotten these days but he was a fine composer. The Symphonic Studies and the Symphony No.1 are particular favourires of mine.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 07:40:08 am »

I am very impressed by "The Apocalypse". We had an off-air recording of the Sydney performance on here (it should really now be removed of course!) but it is good to hear the work in remastered sound. More listenings are required though to fully appreciate it.

Delighted to know that you like Rawsthorne. He is almost completely forgotten these days but he was a fine composer. The Symphonic Studies and the Symphony No.1 are particular favourires of mine.

Excellent Colin! Encouragement for me to listen to the Apocalypse again today. I must give Rawsthorne's First Symphony another listen to.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 09:31:11 pm »

Top of my wishlist of CDs of Violin Concertos along with Stanley Bate.

What appears to be the premiere of the Phantasy Concerto Op.63 in 1960, twelve years after it was composed in 1948, can be heard on YouTube in poor sound.  See:

It would be great if Lyrita had a better sounding recording of this performance although it would be preferable to hear it in modern digital sound.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: