The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:14:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Vaughan Williams 'A Sea Symphony' on Hyperion

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vaughan Williams 'A Sea Symphony' on Hyperion  (Read 812 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2018, 08:49:21 pm »

See: https://www.mdt.co.uk/vaughan-williams-a-sea-symphony-bbc-so-brabbins-hyperion-records.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 12:49:38 am »

I heard Brabbins conduct the Sea Symphony at the Edinburgh Festival a week or two ago. It was certainly a rousing performance and, in parts, very moving.

Whether I would want to add another version to my own collection is another matter.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 01:25:50 am »

I just don't see any reason to replace Haitink's perfect version but others prove me wrong.  It is perfect in interpretation, recording, and performance.  Moving, elegant, dreamy, longing, monumental. 
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 01:58:17 am »

I just don't see any reason to replace Haitink's perfect version but others prove me wrong.  It is perfect in interpretation, recording, and performance.  Moving, elegant, dreamy, longing, monumental. 

I agree with you entirely. Others, of course, do not.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 02:43:45 am »

I agree with you entirely. Others, of course, do not.

Me included.  Among other significant imperfections is Felicity Lott, - just far too stylistically operatic for my taste.  My own long time favorite is the Boult stereo version, infinitely more idiomatic than Haitink (who really doesn't "get" Vaughan Williams, - it's an outsider's approach), and Shelia Armstrong & John Carol Case beat everyone else in my judgment (their "Explorers" is just terrific).
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 10:15:23 am »

The second recording of a VW symphonie under Brabbins at Hyperion records. Maybe a new cycle ????
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
guest145
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 12:39:16 pm »

I just don't see any reason to replace Haitink's perfect version but others prove me wrong.  It is perfect in interpretation, recording, and performance.  Moving, elegant, dreamy, longing, monumental...

...My own long time favorite is the Boult stereo version, infinitely more idiomatic than Haitink (who really doesn't "get" Vaughan Williams, - it's an outsider's approach), and Shelia Armstrong & John Carol Case beat everyone else in my judgment (their "Explorers" is just terrific).

I've heard many fine recordings and performances of RVW 1, but none has ever surpassed Boult/Armstrong/Case for me.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 01:14:57 pm »

The second recording of a VW symphonie under Brabbins at Hyperion records. Maybe a new cycle ????

I believe so.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 09:56:17 pm »

Much to my surprise this recording turned up at my house today, several weeks ahead of the advertised release date. Maybe because I ordered it directly from Hyperion. Anyway, I enjoyed the CD enormously. Initially I found the recording a bit cavernous and the soloists closely miked but I soon got used to it and was very gripped by the performance, slower in some sections than usual but very deeply felt throughout. I suspect that I shall be playing this version and the Haitink from now on. I'm not sure that it replaces the Haitink as my No.1 choice but it comes very close and I'm pleased to have acquired the CD. The short Whiman setting 'Darest thou now, O soul' (1925) only lasts just over three minutes but is rather moving.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 10:00:26 pm »

Much to my surprise this recording turned up at my house today, several weeks ahead of the advertised release date. Maybe because I ordered it directly from Hyperion. Anyway, I enjoyed the CD enormously. Initially I found the recording a bit cavernous and the soloists closely miked but I soon got used to it and was very gripped by the performance, slower in some sections than usual but very deeply felt throughout. I suspect that I shall be playing this version and the Haitink from now on. I'm not sure that it replaces the Haitink as my No.1 choice but it comes very close and I'm pleased to have acquired. The short Whiman setting 'Darest thou now, O soul' (1925) only lasts just over three minutes but is rather moving.

Ah....another Haitink fan :)
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 10:58:00 pm »

Much to my surprise this recording turned up at my house today, several weeks ahead of the advertised release date. Maybe because I ordered it directly from Hyperion. Anyway, I enjoyed the CD enormously. Initially I found the recording a bit cavernous and the soloists closely miked but I soon got used to it and was very gripped by the performance, slower in some sections than usual but very deeply felt throughout. I suspect that I shall be playing this version and the Haitink from now on. I'm not sure that it replaces the Haitink as my No.1 choice but it comes very close and I'm pleased to have acquired. The short Whiman setting 'Darest thou now, O soul' (1925) only lasts just over three minutes but is rather moving.

Indeed! It was the Haitink recording which brought this work 'alive' for me after decades of ignoring it - an absolutely wonderful performance.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 01:14:48 am »

Indeed! It was the Haitink recording which brought this work 'alive' for me after decades of ignoring it - an absolutely wonderful performance.

I'm with you.  Haitink was a late discovery for me.  I heard Boult and Previn before but Haitink brought polish and maturity to the interpretation.  It was always thrilling but never before sounded as deep which is how I think of the work ultimately. 
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 07:36:04 am »

I'm with you.  Haitink was a late discovery for me.  I heard Boult and Previn before but Haitink brought polish and maturity to the interpretation.  It was always thrilling but never before sounded as deep which is how I think of the work ultimately. 
Yes, I agree. I had the Boult LP box for decades but only appreciated A Sea Symphony when I heard the Haitink recording. I was in my teens however when I bought the Boult set and maybe as I got older I gained a greater appreciation of choral works generally. Having said that I loved such works as Sancta Civitas and Howells's 'Hymnus Paradisi' when I was at university a few years later.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: