The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:50:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Azarashvili

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Azarashvili  (Read 1434 times)
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 09:40:19 pm »

After consultation with co-moderator Dundonnell, the original links posted in this thread have been removed. With apologies to rkhenderson, the original poster, who I am certain had no idea these links would cause subsequent problems.

For the record, I examined the URLs for the links and they appeared to be perfectly normal YT links with no additional redirects or other other links embedded. I also tested them with no adverse effects.

The only guess I can hazard to explain the problems some encountered would be that those individuals unknowingly had some sort of malware or other Trojan on their computers which was activated by these links, or some part of them. Again, just a guess, based on sad personal experience in the past, and please be clear I am making no accusations. If anyone has a better explanation, please let me know privately.

Suspicious links quoted in subsequent posts in this thread have also been deleted, to avoid the possibility of anyone accidentally clicking on them, resulting in further harm.

Thanks to all for their patience and understanding, and let me again recommend in the strongest possible terms, if you see a link that seems suspicious in any way, DO NOT click on it. Instead, please inform the Administration and we will investigate.

Maris
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 11:14:08 pm »

When I access the site the annoying Banner Ad which previously read "Download" and "Play Now" has been replaced by one which reads "Check out this special offer: Click Here".

All I can say is DON'T !! It MAY be-and probably is- harmless advertising but, as Maris has said, if you don't know where the link comes from or where it is taking you then ignore it!!
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 11:25:21 pm »

Thank you for bringing this up, Colin. I should have addressed this issue as well in my post(s).  Indeed, unless you are absolutely certain of the safety of such links, DO NOT click on them. A couple of points:

We have no control over the content of banner ads. If it were up to me they wouldn't show up at all, given the possibility of malicious links. However, I'm sure the forum host wants them there for revenue from click-throughs, and if they wind up linking to malware due to other malware present on any user's computer, I'm sure the owner assumes no responsibility.

Probably not everyone sees the same ads. What I'm currently getting are eBay links.

Maris
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: