The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:41:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

CPO-speak

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CPO-speak  (Read 2243 times)
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 06:23:29 pm »

Indeed, as der79sebas said, reading van den Hoogen's texts in German is no problem with respect to understanding what he says (if you are native German). There is a certain difference between written and spoken German as calyptorynchus mentions, and actually, when I write a text in German it's different from the way I speak as well. However, this

I understand that an increasingly small and ageing population of academics insist on writing in a style of German which is incomprehensible to most German speakers, even well-educated ones.

is something I would certainly not confirm.

As I said, it's a matter of taste with van den Hoogen's texts. I know there is a good deal of people who enjoy them. That's fine, but they are not my cup of tea. Regarding the two examples Colin gave, to me they sound very much like "German English", and therefore, it might actually be easier to understand them as a German reading English than as a native speaker. I should say I do understand them as well, but I strongly assume this is because I automatically translate them to German when I read them.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 06:54:05 pm »

No doubt everything you say is true - and I am not criticising the original German text (I am in no position to do so as my German is rudimentary in the extreme). I am criticising the English translation which ought to be designed for native English readers, not for Germans whose English may be excellent but who, quite naturally, will be translating the English back into German when they read, not always consciously.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 09:21:53 pm »

No doubt everything you say is true - and I am not criticising the original German text (I am in no position to do so as my German is rudimentary in the extreme). I am criticising the English translation which ought to be designed for native English readers, not for Germans whose English may be excellent but who, quite naturally, will be translating the English back into German when they read, not always consciously.

Of course, I fully agree!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2021, 09:52:48 am »

I haven't purchased a CPO disc since the latest Holbrooke (Symphony No.3, etc.) although the new Cipriani Potter release may well just prove too much of a temptation (who needs food anyway?)...

Are their more recent booklet-note (ahem) "translations" still as impenetrable as they used to be? Those for the Reznicek discs are virtually unreadable.

::)

But it's still a wonderful recording company!

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 12:44:35 pm »

Those for the Reznicek discs are virtually unreadable.

From Schlemihl/ Raskolnikoff (CPO 999795-2) [clears throat and orates a la Brian Blessed]...

"The electronic web promising us the virtual fulfillment of all our dreams and desires has come to have its merits after all. For example, if one is looking for literary products whose cultural date of expiration for some unknown reason or other seems to have passed, then one can discover countless wonderful things on secondhand conditions."

...and that's just the opening gambit.

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 12:52:27 pm »

I couldn't have put it better myself. ::)

CPO is though, as you rightly say, a wonderful company!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 01:02:39 pm »

I couldn't have put it better myself. ::)

CPO is though, as you rightly say, a wonderful company!

Thankfully, the notes for the three volumes (so far) of Holbrooke have been exemplary.

:)

Those for volume 3 are by some fly-by-night scribbler or other calling himself "Gareth Vaughan"...

::) ;) ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2021, 01:33:24 pm »

A delightful stream of consciousness "about" Reznicek's Der Sieger (CPO 999898-2), the sentiments of which are hard to argue with (evidently writers for CPO are poorly recompensed for their labours)...

"These are the sorts of moments when one asks oneself what one has achieved for everything in the world and how it can happen that the "others" always reap the great harvest, while oneself often has to fight for the barest minimum. Even if the clouds of self-doubt only clear for a passing moment, it will occur to one that one in fact would never want to exchange places with those "others" not because money in itself stinks but because the methods employed for accumulating vast sums of it are often disreputable enough. The decision for a certain measure of idealism is a luxury that has its price".

Booklet-note or therapy session?

I think that lamp is seriously draining the National Grid.

:o
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2021, 12:18:37 pm »

Aha, I see this has cropped-up before: I have now merged the two topics.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2021, 01:33:53 pm »

More insights from the psychiatrist's couch, this time regarding Reznicek's Symphonies 3 and 4 (CPO 777637-2)...

"I believed I could detect already on my first more intimate contact with him [...] a sort of communicative capacity always holding open a little backdoor through which it is possible to slip into one's innermost self without ever completely revealing oneself or going so far as to let oneself be taken captive.  This is the way that somebody who does not want to use his own vulnerability as an aid to gaining control over others ("Now just look what you've done to me!") or for true confessions for talk show consumption, even if what we know as life has burdened him with the most difficult tests and trials."

Such as making some semblance of sense out of CPO-speak, perhaps.

Will this pleasure never end?

:-\
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2021, 03:52:04 am »

Regarding the new Cipriani Potter disc,

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,7306.0.html

has anyone got this yet?

???

If so, what are the booklet-notes like? Hopefully better than the Reznicek...

Report Spam   Logged

JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2021, 05:32:34 pm »

Those liner notes are perfectly comprehensible to anybody who knows how to take newly made up German words and convert them to their English translations.
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2021, 05:57:55 pm »

Those liner notes are perfectly comprehensible to anybody who knows how to take newly made up German words and convert them to their English translations.
Amongst whom I do not count myself, Jim. If you can do that, you're a better man than I am!  :D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2021, 06:04:05 pm »

:D :D :D

The "Little Chip" notes are lovely - I refer people to the Reznicek discs for totally mind-numbing psychobabble crap.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: