The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:20:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Azarashvili

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Azarashvili  (Read 1435 times)
guest264
« on: August 09, 2018, 07:56:11 pm »

NOTE: The original post in this thread has been removed for the reasons outlined below. The forum software does not appear to allow deleting the initial post in a thread nor does it allow changing the name of the poster, so I've added the explanation here:

After consultation with co-moderator Dundonnell, the original links posted in this thread have been removed. With apologies to rkhenderson, the original poster, who I am certain had no idea these links would cause subsequent problems.

For the record, I examined the URLs for the links and they appeared to be perfectly normal YT links with no additional redirects or other other links embedded. I also tested them with no adverse effects.

Suspicious links quoted in subsequent posts in this thread have also been deleted, to avoid the possibility of anyone accidentally clicking on them, resulting in further harm.

The only guess I can hazard to explain the problems some encountered would be that those individuals unknowingly had some sort of malware or other Trojan on their computers which was activated by these links, or some part of them. Again, just a guess, based on sad personal experience in the past, and please be clear I am making no accusations. If anyone has a better explanation, please let me know privately.

Thanks to all for their patience and understanding, and let me again recommend in the strongest possible terms, if you see a link that seems suspicious in any way, DO NOT click on it. Instead, please inform the Administration and we will investigate.

Maris
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 06:22:35 am »

Actually, yesterday I clicked the links as well and nothing strange happened at all. It should be added that these are just ordinary YouTube videos, so I cannot see any reason why clicking them should do any harm. Finally, I would like to add that I know rkhenderson for years, also from private conversations. He would never post links to do any harm for sure. No idea what happened in your case.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 10:16:07 am »

Yes, it's annoying, but I also don't think rkhenderson did this (at least not on purpose).

I get several pop ups with the above address (I added the two ( ) in the beginning because of safety reasons. (This way is an unusual link

Mayve the admionistrators could look into this matter?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:26:41 pm by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 10:24:26 am »

There is an app coming up in the top area when clicking on Babadzjanyan's String Quartet.
This app 'MusicApp Search' enter the site probably unwanted.

Cabn Admin remove it?
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 03:22:31 pm »

Actually, yesterday I clicked the links as well and nothing strange happened at all. It should be added that these are just ordinary YouTube videos, so I cannot see any reason why clicking them should do any harm. Finally, I would like to add that I know rkhenderson for years, also from private conversations. He would never post links to do any harm for sure. No idea what happened in your case.

Ok, I apologize for going off on him.  This ransomware drives me crazy and i thought his intent was malicious rather than accidentally harmful.
Report Spam   Logged
guest264
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 09:54:49 pm »

My apologies if I have inadvertently introduced some malware. I posted these links as I normally would, by cutting and pasting into the internet link parentheses.
Actually, I occasionally had unwelcome advertising windows popping up myself when I clicked on other links on this site. Are we sure it's not the site itself that is corrupted in some way?
Report Spam   Logged
soundwave106
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 12:33:14 am »

There's definitely a banner ad service on the top of the page. My bet is this is the most likely source of the problems. The code comments suggest Google but the script is loading from clksite.com which looks semi-dodgy. (Even big players like Google Adsense can be semi-dodgy these days though :p).

Unfortunately this is why I tend to suggest to everyone to add an ad-blocker extension to your browser (like uBlock Origin). It's not great for websites you want to support but IMHO web advertising is not well controlled at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 12:48:18 am »

There's definitely a banner ad service on the top of the page. My bet is this is the most likely source of the problems. The code comments suggest Google but the script is loading from clksite.com which looks semi-dodgy. (Even big players like Google Adsense can be semi-dodgy these days though :p).

Unfortunately this is why I tend to suggest to everyone to add an ad-blocker extension to your browser (like uBlock Origin). It's not great for websites you want to support but IMHO web advertising is not well controlled at the moment.

It does seem to be a malware provider.  https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-clksite-com/ but I'm not sure if its the only one.  Why does clicking play on the youtube link above redirect to a non-youtube ransomware site if rkhenderson just posted a youtube link?  There are probably other diseases lurking here.
Report Spam   Logged
djarvie
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 04:44:34 pm »

There is certainly something strange going on.  I have twice been directed to an unexpected site (I quickly closed it, but I think it may have been the 'MusicApp Search' app mentioned by Elroel).   Also I am getting suspicious looking buttons in the banner heading - a big 'Download' button and a big 'Play Now' button; a 'Play Music' button;  or an invitation to 'Click here'.   For obvious reasons I do nothing of the sort.   I did a full system scan and found no threats.
Report Spam   Logged
soundwave106
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 06:28:30 pm »

It does seem to be a malware provider.  https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-clksite-com/ but I'm not sure if its the only one.  Why does clicking play on the youtube link above redirect to a non-youtube ransomware site if rkhenderson just posted a youtube link? 

Since the embedded link to clksite in the source is a link to Javascript as well as a banner, maybe one of the ads added some sort of event listener targeting specific iframes of well known social network sites like Youtube. The ads I'm getting when I turn off the blocker don't have anything but an obnoxious "download" button (that directs to a dodgy plugin site) so I really can't say myself.
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 09:49:54 pm »

The way I listen to these is right-click and "copy video URL", then paste it into another window of the browser and listen.
Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 10:09:16 pm »

(From Dundonnell):

I am extremely sorry for my belated intervention in this thread. I was away from home on both Thursday and Friday evenings attending concerts at the Edinburgh Festival and only had a look at this particular thread when I noticed the number of posts it had attracted.

I wish I could express anything other than total helplessness.

When I accepted a role as an administrator I did try to explain that I had received absolutely no guidance or advice on "how the site worked". It was therefore inevitable that if anything "went wrong" (in the technical sense) I would prove completely and utterly useless to members. I have absolutely no technical knowledge, let alone expertise. I have to admit that honestly and candidly.

Latvian-one of my fellow administrators- MAY be able to help. I have messaged him as a matter of urgency. His knowledge and experience can only, however slightly, be greater than mine!!

I feel acutely embarrassed to be in this position but I honestly have no idea what I can do to help resolve the situation (apart from a somewhat pathetic appeal to members to try to keep calm and continue to treat each other with respect- in normal circumstances I would of course have deleted the extremely angry second post in this thread but these are not normal circumstances, I understand the reasons for the anger and I will let it stand).

If any member feels that he (or she?) has any possible technical solutions or strategies for tackling the problems described in the posts above then I am more than ready to offer whatever is required (eg administrator rights) if that would help.

I wish that I were able to point to a way forward but I am afraid that I cannot. Maybe Latvian (Maris) can?

My (ashamed) apologies!
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 06:50:50 pm »

Maybe going to YouTube and putting Azarashvili in search will work out, I usually do it that way, didn't see anything hinky when I tried CD2 on there. Or maybe not.
Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 01:53:51 am »

Fellow members,

I have now consulted a friend of mine (not a member of this forum) and asked him for an opinion. He has had a look at the site and has clicked on the various links mentioned in the posts above.

For what it is worth:

He points out that the forum is hosted by a free site provider. We do not pay any rental fee to the host (I pay an annual rental fee to the company which hosts my own personal website).

There is therefore the distinct possibility, indeed probability, that our host provider will allow Ads to appear on our site. This will be how the host makes some income, since it is not from us!

This is not something we can simply wish away in the sense that the Administrators can "remove" these Ads. What members can do is to installl Ad-Blockers on their own devices. These MIGHT work but there is no guarantee of this. Members can be advised NOT to click on ANY link when there is the slightest doubt in their minds about these links.
You Tube links SHOULD be ok and those who have clicked on the link which started the present concerns have reported no "ill effects". Members are also-of course-advised to have anti-virus and anti-malware software installed on their devices.

I appreciate that the large "Banner Ad" at the top of each page with "Download" and "Play Now" is annoying in the extreme. I certainly cannot remove it.

As I said in my previous post I am open to any and all advice, guidance, suggestions that other members may have.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 01:02:49 pm »

This is a most unfortunate situation, but not an uncommon one on many online forums, sadly. As Colin has written, we are being hosted by a free site provider so we have little recourse or leverage to induce them to step in. My understanding is that they have been unresponsive in the past on other matters.

I am also confident that rkhenderson did not post this link with any malicious intent, and am angry and offended by the obscenities directed at him. This forum has been a model of civility for several years -- please let's keep it that way!

My recommendations are these:

Remove the "Azarashvili" thread in its entirity, and perhaps the administration might want to archive some of this subsequent discussion to another thread, without any of the dangerous links.

Everyone should be very cautious about clicking on any links that are even remotely suspicious, especially from URLs that seem to have nothing to do with classical music.

Please immediately report any suspicious link or related activity or problems, to the administration.

Let's see if we can get things back to normal so that we can return to discussing and enjoying music!

Maris
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: