The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:40:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ongoing CPO projects.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing CPO projects.  (Read 12008 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2018, 01:11:06 pm »

I gave my reasons for making a respectful suggestion.

It was no more than that- a suggestion.

If however members wish to continue such discussion then so be it.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2018, 02:11:26 pm »

With the three Lars-Erik Larsson symphonies now released CPO's "ongoing series" would now seem to be:

1) Johann Nepomuk David (Austria-Germany): four symphonies released out of eight.
2) Julius Rontgen (Netherlands): eleven symphonies released out of twenty-two extant.
3) Henk Badings (Netherlands): eight symphonies released out of fifteen.
4) Louis Glass (Denmark): two symphonies released out of six.

The David are being recorded by the Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra under Johannes Wildner....but at snail's pace. The Rontgen and Badings continuation depends I suppose on the conductor David Porcelijn's commitment to them.

I am pretty pessimistic about:

5) Rudolph Simonsen (Denmark): two symphonies released out of four. These were recorded in 2006 and released in 2009 but the conductor was Israel Yinon who died in 2015.
6) Nathanael Berg (Sweden): three symphonies released out of five. These were recorded in 2006-2007 and released in 2009-2010. The conductor was Ari Rasilainen who does not seem to do much for CPO these days.
7) Edvin Kallstenius (Sweden): one symphony released (to some acclaim) out of five. However that recording by the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra under Frank Beermann, released in 2014, was actually recorded in October 2007.

I may be wrong but my gut feeling is that CPO has lost interest in these three composers.

Maybe they should take up the Norwegian Klaus Egge, the Swede Hilding Rosenberg, the Finn Ernest Pingoud, the Pole Grazyna Bacewicz ?????

A modern recording of Klaus Egge's fine First Symphony would be great. The Karsten Andersen on Philips/Aurora is only so-so with a boxed-in recording and I don't think that the earlier but superior Gruner-Hegge recording will ever be reissued on CD.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2018, 07:04:00 pm »

A modern recording of Klaus Egge's fine First Symphony would be great. The Karsten Andersen on Philips/Aurora is only so-so with a boxed-in recording and I don't think that the earlier but superior Gruner-Hegge recording will ever be reissued on CD.

Yes, that would be great!
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2018, 10:17:49 pm »

Yes, that would be great!

Wishful thinking on my part I suspect - but, you never know!
 :)
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2018, 08:09:14 am »

Just ordered the Aurora Egge Symphony 1 at Amazon.co.uk; think I try to judge by myself if it's a great symphony and a boxed-in recording (on my hifi-system)!
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2018, 12:39:23 pm »

If von Herzogenberg and Papandopulo can be called 'a cpo project', we get some new releases per September (18, in Germany).
Von Herzogenberg his oratorio Columbus:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/heinrich-von-herzogenberg-columbus/hnum/7971819
And Boris Papandopulo Vol.3: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/boris-papandopulo-cembalokonzert/hnum/5434256
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2018, 01:35:47 pm »

Just ordered the Aurora Egge Symphony 1 at Amazon.co.uk; think I try to judge by myself if it's a great symphony and a boxed-in recording (on my hifi-system)!

So, what was your verdict?
 8)
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2018, 06:22:00 am »

So, what was your verdict?
 8)
It took some time before I got this CD! I think these are not earth shattering lost masterpieces but they deserve a firm place in the North European symphonic tradition. It made me wonder how the other symphonies by Egge are. The First symphony, composed during WWII is an good piece. I like it. It has a very sombre opening, like a funeral march. After that the symphony develops like many do: a faster episodes enclosed by more introvert one. The Adagio struck me as first class, it has a very sad and sombre feel enhanced by the low lying parts for cellos and double basses. The finale isn’t uninteresting but after the impressive adagio I think it’s a so so. Probably the playing could have more Schwung and power if the vigoroso as indicated was more vigorous. The piano concerto nr. 2 is a variation work on a Norwegian Folk melody, I couldn’t locate it, I’m not from Norway….. Eva Knardal plays very secure – she was the first pianist to complete an all Grieg series on BIS I was wondering? – and the work has a Martinů-feel over it. It has a nice drive but I think some listeners don’t bother for it like it’s a 13 in an dozen work.
As for the recording. I think that of the piano concerto is the best. It’s a clear recording with some tape hiss. What I like most is the way the piano is recorded: not particularly in front of the orchestra but more integrated with it. The symphony has problems to bloom and shine. It’s not boxy but there’s no air around the orchestra so it gives the impression of light claustrophobia. There’s tape hiss too and I think the remastering process could have been done better of they didn’t abruptly cut of the tape hiss between the movements. Percussion is good, ground bass is fine and instruments in the higher register don’t have any problem to cut through the dark atmosphere in the adagio. If you play the disc completely through you’ll mention after the concerto that the volume in the symphony goes down and you might therefore think the recording is mediocre. Give the volume a boost for the symphony and the problem is over. (signal through McIntosh HA-150 > Sennheiser HD-700 on my ears and monitored with Yamaha NS 5000 speakers.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: