The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:11:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Babadjanyan String Quartet No. 3

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Babadjanyan String Quartet No. 3  (Read 342 times)
guest264
« on: August 04, 2018, 10:09:14 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 08:25:02 am »

Many thanks! A very interesting work from 1976 dedicated to the memory of Shostakovich (of course, including the D-S-C-H motive) in one continous movement. A sort of long lament, expressive and convincing. Of course, it shows Babadjanian from a more modern side than, say, his "Heroic Ballad", though there are still links to tonality. I am happy to be able to add it to my collection.
Report Spam   Logged
guest264
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 09:05:06 pm »

Hi Holger,
 Interesting how many works were composed in memoriam Shostakovich. I like Yuri Levitin's work and recently came across a few more on a rare Melodiya LP. See downloads section.

Robert
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 09:42:18 pm »

Hi Robert,

many thanks for sharing the Levitin LP you are referring to – it is new to me in fact. I am currently in process of downloading it.

You are correct about the many works written in memory of Shostakovich. Of course, Weinberg's Symphony No. 12 and Tishchenko's Symphony No. 5 immediately come to our minds, but in addition there is also Bibik's Symphony No. 4, Gabichvadze's Chamber Symphony No. 4 (= probably Symphony No. 7), Cövdət Hacıyev's String Quartet No. 3 (in fact the second part of a Dilogy in memory of Shostakovich), Mansurian's Cello Concerto No. 1, an Adagio for String Orchestra by Tatyana Smirnova, Tsintsadze's String Quartet No. 9 and still more pieces (including music by non-Soviet composers). That's really quite a bunch, which reflects Shostakovich's stature and influence as seen by his contemporarites of course.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:38:09 am »

Hi Holger,
 Interesting how many works were composed in memoriam Shostakovich. I like Yuri Levitin's work and recently came across a few more on a rare Melodiya LP. See downloads section.

Robert

Well, he was the composer of his time.  He summed up the generation better than anyone else, was an educator who impacted subsequent generations, and frankly seemed to be a very good man.  There is no dirt or negativity towards others.  I've never heard him say anything negative about anyone. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: