The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:29:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Janis Ķepītis

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Janis Ķepītis  (Read 455 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2018, 09:31:40 am »

I have a piano concerto by this latvian master but do not know the performers or movements.
Can anyone help here?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest145
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 12:52:10 pm »

It's most likely a Soviet-era broadcast performance of his Piano Concerto No. 1, composed in 1934, with Mendelis Bašs on piano and the Latvian Radio & TV Symphony Orchestra conducted by Centis Kriķis. I don't have tempo markings for the three movements but I'll consult a couple of reference books when I have a chance to see if there's any discussion of the work.

Lovely music!
Report Spam   Logged
pianoconcerto
Level 1

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 07:07:33 pm »

Is it Mendelis Bašs, who was best known as a conductor, pedagogue, and composer, or his son Harijs Bašs, who is a pianist?  I have seen this recording attributed to both of them and am not sure.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 09:37:18 pm »

While I cannot answer the question about the piano player of the recording of the Ķepītis concerto, I do have a comment about the piece itself. I also got it as his Piano Concerto No. 1. After studying the Ķepītis work list provided by the Latvian Music Information Centre, I tend to believe that the piece we have must actually be his Piano Concerto No. 3.

Here is the reason: the Latvian MIC gives the following information about Ķepītis' three piano concertos:

Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Major (1937)
Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Major (1953) – Duration: 37 minutes
Piano Concerto No. 3 in A flat Major "Children's Concerto" (1973)

The concerto we have is definitely in A flat Major, and in its lighter manner and with a total duration of just about 13 minutes, the title "Children's Concerto" would perfectly make sense. I therefore assume that it should actually be the Third Concerto we have. Of course, full evidence would still be needed.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 10:08:19 pm »

I have a copy of it and it says  Piano Concerto "Youth"  Harijs Bass piano, Latvian Radio SO with Centis Krikis conducting.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 03:35:34 pm »

Thanks for the clarification, Holger and Dave. I concur that it must be #3.

The problem I have with some of my Latvian broadcast recordings is that they were obtained in the 1990s from a collector who I've since realized was notoriously sloppy in his attributions. Without taking the time to listen carefully and compare details with data on the LMIC website and other sources, I find that there are many instances where the information that was sent with the recordings I received is accurate. Sigh...  ::)

I especially appreciate Holger's careful and diligent research in cases such as this, and other situations where he's clarified murky details.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: