The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:44:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ruth Gipps symphonies

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruth Gipps symphonies  (Read 3878 times)
guest251
« on: July 18, 2018, 09:14:43 am »

A new recording forthcoming from Chandos in September:

https://www.mdt.co.uk/gipps-ruth-symphonies-rumon-gamba-chandos-records.html

Not the first appearance of Symphony No 2 on disc, but one to be welcomed nevertheless. May we hope for more??
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

djarvie
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 10:24:18 am »

Thanks for spotting this.  It's great news, and unexpected.  I shall certainly buy it.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 10:37:14 am »

Excellent! I have enjoyed what I have heard of Gipps, and it's nice to see Chandos releasing the sort of thing they used to be best known for.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 05:29:17 pm »

Wow! This is unexpected. As has been said, not what one would have expected given Chandos's track record over the last few years.

Hugely welcome, of course!! (I know one Dutchman who will be overjoyed ;D)

And yes......hope that Gamba will go on to record Symphonies Nos. 3 and 5.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 12:40:48 am »

Wonderful ! all music of Gipps should be more known
https://books.google.it/books?id=giwxDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT3&lpg=PT3&dq=gipps+nationalism&source=bl&ots=9JO3es0Yx_&sig=-nOGeuArgCK76BkQ_bhmrQMG6ZQ&hl=it&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj0iMzOsrbcAhWyx6YKHS9lC-sQ6AEwBHoECAQQAQ#v=onepage&q=gipps%20nationalism&f=false
Report Spam   Logged
Balapoel
Level 2

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 03:31:22 am »

I, for one, would like to hear her Symphony in f minor, Op. 22.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 01:47:24 pm »

I, for one, would like to hear her Symphony in f minor, Op. 22.

Of course, No.1 too (I just did not want to appear to be my usual overly greedy self ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 11:23:02 am »

For a long time I have hoped for a recording of Symphony 4 - so this is great news indeed.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 08:10:09 am »

I heartily concur. I think Ruth Gipps' 4th is possibly her finest symphony. It is certainly a very distinguished work and the orchestration is highly accomplished.
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 10:14:54 am »

just hearing the new chandos disk with the Gipps symphonies. as expected very disappointing. dull music which sounds like i heard a hundred times ago, simply redundant. sorry, but this isn't really relevant music.
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 01:14:01 pm »

just hearing the new chandos disk with the Gipps symphonies. as expected very disappointing. dull music which sounds like i heard a hundred times ago, simply redundant. sorry, but this isn't really relevant music.

Relevant to what?
Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 03:22:58 pm »

Ok. This is a final warning! You post sporadically but almost always to decry the music of a particular composer. Repeatedly you use words like "redundant" or "relevant".
This has annoyed other members who have asked you to explain what you mean by "relevant". You have never done so. In fact the concept of relevance to music written in 1945 (the Ruth Gipps Symphony No.2) is meaningless. The suspicion must be that you continue to use this "means of attack" because you know how annoying it is to others.

You are fully entitled to expressing a musical opinion but when it is couched in the same terms over and over again that expression becomes both tedious to read and of zero value.

If you continue with your approach I shall simply delete the offending posts.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 07:07:14 pm »

Well said. Expi's comments are redundant persé and irrelevant as long as he/she doesn't explain.
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 05:24:15 pm »

Sorry but whats wrong with terms like not relevant or redundant? Aren't they self-explanatory? Not relevant means without any importance for musical history and redundant means superfluous (People had better spent time for something useful than recording boring music). What about the freedom of speech in this Forum?
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 12:02:31 am »

Sorry but whats wrong with terms like not relevant or redundant? Aren't they self-explanatory? Not relevant means without any importance for musical history and redundant means superfluous (People had better spent time for something useful than recording boring music). What about the freedom of speech in this Forum?

No, they are not self-explanatory. However, you have offered definitions....finally.

You suggest that to be "relevant" music has to have "importance for musical history". That would suggest that the only composers whose music is "relevant" are those who are generally recognised as among the "great composers" or those who have in some way shaped the course of musical development through their influence on others.

If we accept this then literally hundreds of composers who wrote music within an idiom conventional to their particular time would be "condemned" as "irrelevant". Yet many of these composers wrote music which is admired by many of the members of this forum. It is certainly acceptable to find nothing individual or innovative in their music. It is equally acceptable to say so.

But you also use the word "redundant", meaning "superfluous" and "boring". Superfluous suggests that the music should not have been written or listened to. That is a frankly astonishing assertion! You sweep aside the musical tastes and judgment of many of our members. That is unacceptable.

You refer to "freedom of speech" on thiis forum. There is no unfettered freedom of speech. There never has been. We expect members to respect the views, opinions and tastes of others and to conduct discussion in a decorous, ie polite and courteous fashion.

Like every other music lover I have musical "preferences". I find it difficult to listen attentively to a Mozart piano concerto. That however does not render Mozart's music "irrelevant" or "redundant". Mozart was, unquestionably, "a great composer". I would expect (and have plenty of experience of) the baffled incomprehension of others when I express my aversion to a Mozart piano concerto. There are a handful of other, very well-known and well-loved composers whose music holds no great appeal to me but I would certainly not dismiss their music for that reason.

This forum is populated by people who prefer to discuss the music they like and to attempt to share their musical enthusiasms rather than to persistently and continuously rubbish the music of composers under discussion.

The use of the words "relevant" (as usually in "not relevant") or "redundant" has become tedious in the extreme. In my capacity as an administrator I have already said this explicitly. If you do not "like" my attitude then you can reach your own inevitable conclusions.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: