The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:23:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ruth Gipps symphonies

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruth Gipps symphonies  (Read 3867 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2018, 11:38:37 am »

On now. The Ruth Gipps Chandos cd,,which was on pre-order,arrived this morning. First listen! So far I am very impressed by her Fourth Symphony. I was half expecting some watered down VW,pastoral ruminations,but this strikes me as a truly individual voice. I love the clarity of the orchestration. I love her use of horns;and there is an urgency to the narrative that draws me along. Some exciting orchestration,too. The opening immediately caught my attention. I really didn't expect anything as good as this! ??? :) I'm now listening to the much earlier tone poem,Knight in Armour. Again,lovely orchestration. Quite bracing. So far,none of that finger twiddling and looking at the mini hi-fi track timings (How long is this going on?!!). Again,I really didn't expect anything this good!! So far,I'm very impressed!! I love that cover photo,by the way!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2018, 03:34:29 pm »

Delighted to hear that you are enjoying the disc! My copy has not yet arrived (but then I did order another five cds at the same time!).

"watered down, VW, pastoral ruminations" indeed ::) Who ever thought of such a thing ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2018, 05:19:17 pm »

Well, my copy was in the mailbox yesterday.

Her other symphonies did make me order this cd. The symphony is a very fine one, so no regret I bought it.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2018, 05:28:00 pm »

The 4th symphony is a masterpiece. I have David Wright to thank for arranging for me to have a photocopy of the full score, which is how I came to know it. Wonderful orchestration and a truly individual voice.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2018, 05:42:06 pm »

Delighted to hear that you are enjoying the disc! My copy has not yet arrived (but then I did order another five cds at the same time!).

"watered down, VW, pastoral ruminations" indeed ::) Who ever thought of such a thing ;D
::) And how wrong I was!! :-[ ;D Indeed,I just posted this on the "What are you listening to now?" thread,at the GMG (minus the cd cover photo)!

"Still listening to this. Yes,the Fourth Symphony is more tightly structured and easily the finest of the two symphonies. That said,the Second Symphony is,imho,a fine work,and after several listens now,I really do like it. Gipps really had a flair for orchestration,and there is always something to capture my attention. Even if I hadn't heard the Fourth Symphony,I would have enjoyed this work. In fact,not being familiar with Gipps before,I really have enjoyed and been impressed by everything I've heard on this cd. Even the smaller works. Also,she has her own voice. She doesn't sound like any of the usual suspects,VW,Moeran or Bax; ie I don't keep thinking,"this sounds like such and such";although there are obviously some influences detectable. In fact,on this basis alone,I 'd go so far as to say that Chandos would be daft not to give us some more Gipps! I know it sounds a little patronising;but I really didn't expect the contents of this cd to be this good. If I was a music critic (Yeah,me a critic?!! ::) ;D) I might just nominate this as my cd find of the year! In fact,I can't wait to hear more Gipps (hint! hint! Chandos!! ;D And again,what a great cover photo! :)"

Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2018, 08:11:42 pm »

Yes, a marvellous disc and fine performances from Rumon Gamba. The shorter works are fine new discoveries for me.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 04:01:16 am »

Looking forward to getting this CD.   
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 09:22:43 am »

One fervently hopes Chandos will record the other symphonies with Gamba's fine advocacy, perhaps adding some more of the shorter orchestral works or concertos (of which there are not a few) as fillers.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 11:55:12 am »

They played the Scherzo of Symphony 4 on the radio a couple of days ago (listener's request BBC Radio 3).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: