The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:06:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ruth Gipps symphonies

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruth Gipps symphonies  (Read 3888 times)
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 12:16:39 pm »

I understand the point about the influences on Braga Santos of RVW and Sibelius, Jeffrey. But the music is not simply reheated VW or Sibelius. There is clearly the influence of Portugese folk music as well but in addition there is an almost American romantic swaggering self-confidence about BS's music. Yet he surely could not have been familiar with Roy Harris or Aaron Copland?

Indeed, who was he familiar with?? After all the Symphony No.1 was written in 1946. Braga Santos was 22 years old in 1946. When World War Two broke out in 1939 the composer was 15. What was the situation in Portugal during the war? The country was officially neutral but retained its long-standing friendship with Great Britain. What music was broadcast on Portugese radio during the war? The young composer clearly did not travel outside his country during the war. Did he study scores? If so, by which composers? These questions have intrigued me ever since I first heard the music. (No doubt Alvaro Cassuto could provide answers and I am tempted to try to contact him!)

It is almost as though somehow the young Portugese composer had absorbed every sort of romantic influence from around the world-from the USA, from Respighi, Bloch, Sibelius, RVW etc etc mixed those with Portugese folk influences and come up with an amalgam free from any inhibitions, free from any preconceived ideas of where contemporary music should be going and simply threw himself into symphonic music with youthful abandon. Because ultimately what shines through is his sheer unbridled self-confident enthusiasm.
If it is inspired-and I think that the early music IS inspired-then is that "inspiration" wholly derivative? I wonder!

(and btw I know that this thread is supposed to be about the symphonies of Ruth Gipps but she too-at the time of the Symphony No.2-was a young, romantic composer.....so the connection is not entirely off piste ;D)
OT
A very thoughtful consideration Colin which I read with much interest. I may have told you that I taught a Portuguese girl whose family knew Braga Santos. Apparently her grandmother threw Braga-Santos and his friends out of the house for 'making too much noise'. Isn't there a quote about prophets being unappreciated in their home country? The girl kindly presented me with a boxed set of Braga Santos orchestral music. I think that her family were amazed that her teacher had heard of him and appreciated his music. Yes, I'm sure that Portuguese folk music was a huge influence.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: