The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:06:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ruth Gipps symphonies

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruth Gipps symphonies  (Read 3884 times)
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 10:36:18 pm »

Well put, Jeffrey and Colin. I completely agree.

Personally, I'm sick to death of "the best" categorizations. Whenever someone starts a discussion with "Who do you think is the best composer/pianist/etc." or "What do you think is the best symphony/concerto/etc." I cringe inwardly. As if there's a universal set of objective criteria by which all can be judged. We all have our biases, preferences, range of experience, etc., that influence our conclusions. Also, our tastes change over time, based on experience, exposure, point in life, etc. For instance, when I was younger I had little use for Robert Schumann apart from a very few of his works. Now, I've come to adore his music. I've always felt his stature as a "great" composer was deserved, but his music just didn't speak to me. Likewise, Franz Liszt.

However, I'm happy to enter into a discussion that begins "Who are your favorite composers/pianists/etc." or "what are your favorite symphonies/concerti/etc." when that discussion is civil and respectful of the participants' tastes.

Vague, undefined generalities such as "relevant" or "best" are annoying at best, infuriating when used repeatedly without explanation. One of the great features of this forum has been the respect we accord one another's opinions. I left another forum a number of years ago when I had the audacity to express my deep respect for a certain composer's music and another member publicly took me to task for my obvious lack of taste and erudition in taking such a "stupid" position, since in their mind this composer's music was utterly useless, worthless, derivative, and poorly written. The administrator saw nothing wrong with this (no, it wasn't UC). So, I hope we are able to maintain this prized civility here. We don't need anyone here who can only bolster their own fragile self-esteem by denigrating and demeaning others and their opinions.

And, for the record, I very much like Ruth Gipps' music.

Well, I agree with you as well Latvian (sorry, I don't know your name). I've never really understood the intolerance which too often exists on online sites. I also think that written messages (as in texts and emails as well) can often seem opinionated without the more subtle nuances of actual face to face conversation. These music websites have cost me a small fortune but, through them, I have discovered so many wonderful composers whose existence I would otherwise be unaware of and made some genuine friendships as well.

As you expressed your admiration for the music of Ruth Gipps let me also do so for your (I assume) compatriot Janis Ivanovs whose terrific 11th Symphony is one of the major gaps (in my opinion) in the CD catalogue, along with Tjeknavorian's LSO recording of Khachaturian's 1st Symphony (RCA, not the far inferior ASV recording), the Gruner-Hegge recording of Klaus Egge's magnificent 1st Symphony (Norwegian HMV LP), Gordon Jabob's Concerto for Two Pianos (EMI LP) and Bax's 3rd Symphony (LSO, Downes RCA LP).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: