The Art-Music Forum
September 20, 2018, 04:19:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Links without any discussion

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Links without any discussion  (Read 141 times)
dhibbard
Level 7

Times thanked: 44

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2018, 04:59:14 am »

All,

Robot programs typically place links on forums like this one with the link going right to a virus for your computer. 
I know some of you have good intentions, but we need to stop just posting links without a brief discussion of where the link goes.  I know I can be guilty of this also, but, after reading about these "robot" programs, we need to stop just posting links without at least a few sentences of where the link goes.   Some of the the other forums are having this same problem.      Thanks   
Dave
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 72

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 07:51:04 pm »

Very reasonably put!  I hope everyone would understand why. 

I write as soneone who has once been hit by exactly such malware from a forum link here.  Cry  Took 5 hours to restore my system afterwards.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 109

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 10:35:26 pm »

Of course I agree with Dave.

It would be quite extraordinary if I did not given that I have made the same point at least three times in the last week.

In saying that I think that we should be sensibly pragmatic.

A thread (now deleted-presumably by the originator) entitled "More Braunfels from CPO" is reasonably self-explanatory.

It came from an established member.

The link was to the jpc website. This is a website many of us have used to get information on or to order CPO cds. The link actually included the titles of the Braunfels pieces included on the new cd.

In these circumstances I had full confidence in clicking on the link and accessing the information about the new CPO disc.

The only information the member needed to provide by way of accompanying text was already incorporated into the title of the thread.

There is a sensible median point here which I hope we can agree on without tying ourselves in unnecessary knots. Dave's point is extremely well-put and coincides with the general advice set out by the Administration (ie in this case, me Grin). If however the link is verifiable, trustworthy, self-explanatory and comes from someone we know and trust then I do not want members to feel that they have to repeat themselves by simply writing again what is already clear from the title of the thread.

If, say, Lyrita issued the Daniel Jones Symphonies Nos. 3 and 12 in the next few months and I titled my thread "Daniel Jones Symphonies Nos. 3 and 12 from Lyrita" it would be unnecessary and both silly and time-wasting to then repeat that sentence before providing a link to the Lyrita website.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 10:55:31 am »

Personally,I would probably drone on a bit,just for a chance to bore you all to death with information that you can easily access yourself,via the provided link! Grin You make good points,though,as usual,Dundonnell! I like a bit of enthusiasm with the link,though,ie "Oh goody gumdrops! A new Braunfels cd! Whoopee!" It somehow,psyches me up for the new arrival!! Off topic,I know;but I must say,I do like the self deprecatory line to your new post as Administrator.The feeling of power,eh?! Shocked Grin
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

Times thanked: 44

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 03:24:22 pm »

All.. at least provide a few words ( at least one ) about the link... all of these scammer virus links don't provide any commentary or even one word of what the link is about... that's how they send out in mass these virus links.
Thank you !!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 109

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 03:32:23 pm »

Personally,I would probably drone on a bit,just for a chance to bore you all to death with information that you can easily access yourself,via the provided link! Grin You make good points,though,as usual,Dundonnell! I like a bit of enthusiasm with the link,though,ie "Oh goody gumdrops! A new Braunfels cd! Whoopee!" It somehow,psyches me up for the new arrival!! Off topic,I know;but I must say,I do like the self deprecatory line to your new post as Administrator.The feeling of power,eh?! Shocked Grin

Kind of you to say so Smiley "Self-deprecation" and "power" do not sit easily together do they? All I am trying to do is be as reasonable as possible. "Power" is not really a concept which has any place in my approach. But if members think that I am getting intrusively self-important then I expect to be told so!!! Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: