The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:10:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Gottfried von Einem Philadelphia Symphony and "Die Stundenlied"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gottfried von Einem Philadelphia Symphony and "Die Stundenlied"  (Read 179 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2018, 04:00:23 pm »

https://www.mdt.co.uk/einem-philadephia-symphony-vienna-po-welser-most-orfeo.html

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this cd! I know that von Einem in not terribly well-known and is not really in fashion. I suspect he is seen by most as one of those earnest Austro-German composers wedded to a sort of neo-classical tonality (a bit like his teacher Johann Nepomuk David ;D) but the Philadelphia Symphony-although "frightfully" old-fashioned and "conservative" is extremely easy on the ear and "Die Stundenlied" (written to a text by Berthold Brecht) is actually rather fine and full of vigour and passion.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bosque Bill
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 01:48:25 am »

It's a typical oversight that record companies are tripping all over themselves to celebrate Leonard Bernstein's centennial while giving us almost nothing of Gottfried von Einem on his centennial. I would have thought DGG or some other respected Old World labels besides Orfeo might have risen to the occasion. Crickets. The fact that his rollicking Concerto for Orchestra remains unrecorded is a particular disgrace, especially given that a society dedicated to his work is supposed to be spreading his legacy. Amazing. Anyway the Philadelphia Symphony is indeed an extraordinarily fine work with an excellent performance on this particular disc, though the other pieces do not reveal the charms quickly. IMHO!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: