The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:50:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

(Some) Twentieth Century British Symphonies not yet on cd: an update

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Some) Twentieth Century British Symphonies not yet on cd: an update  (Read 2887 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 12:16:10 am »

I might be the only one here?! ;D But I wouldn't mind a cd of a symphony by Walter Thomas Gaze Cooper! I don't want to sound ungrateful;but I don't feel it's quite fair to judge his music on the basis of the files posted here. And I've always been a little curious about him,since I first read about him in a Havergal Brian newsletter (years ago) featuring excerpts from his music criticism.  I think I'd like to hear his Symphony no 4, ‘The west wind’ for soprano, chorus & small orchestra op 41,the most;because it's got a nice name and a "humming" chorus! He's also got a nice website! ;D :)

Also,a cd of a symphony by David Wynne;because he's a Welsh composer. I must admit I wasn't too excited by the music I've heard here,and on Youtube;but he was a prolific composer,and a bit of a missing link,in the recorded history of Welsh music. I think there's some chamber music on a Lyrita cd;and that's about it!

I'd also be curious to hear the sole symphony of Joseph Parry. I have no idea whether it would be any good;but it may be (probably?) the first ever symphony by a Welsh composer;who is a bit of an icon here,in Wales,for the hymn,Myfanwy,and his opera,Blodwen. This was the first opera by a Welshman,and the first to be performed in Welsh. Excerpts of it are often heard on the Welsh language tv channel,S4C!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: