The Art-Music Forum
October 14, 2019, 01:44:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

(Some) Twentieth Century British Symphonies not yet on cd: an update

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Some) Twentieth Century British Symphonies not yet on cd: an update  (Read 678 times)
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 20

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 04:49:41 pm »

Unfortunately, the music to a great many of those listed before 1900 is lost. These lists are not very useful unless they tell us where the performance materials can be found - a little extra work on the part of the compilers would have added greatly to their value.
One wonders about the quality of some of the late 19th century British symphonies (certainly Joseph Street's, the scores of which are in BL and which I have seen, are pretty uninspired), but there may be some gold among the dross and I particularly wish that the MSS of Algernon Ashton's symphonies and concertos, which were never published, had not been destroyed in the blitz. I suspect they were better than good.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: