The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:07:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Upcoming cds of previously unrecorded music

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming cds of previously unrecorded music  (Read 1224 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2018, 02:36:09 pm »

Between the early 1990s when I began to buy cds and a few years ago I was buying an average of around 10-11 cds a month (I now have well over 3,000). In recent years the number of new purchases has dropped to 2-3 (I am not particularly interested in having multiple copies of the same work!). But in the next few weeks I shall be acquiring:

1. William Wordsworth's Symphonies Nos. 4 and 8 (Toccata)
2. John Harbison's Symphony No.4 (Naxos)
3. Sven-Erik Tarp Volume I (Dacapo)
4. David Hackbridge Johnson's Symphonies Nos. 10 and 13 (Toccata)
5.Franz Reizenstein's Cello Concerto (CPO)
6. Kalvei Aho's Piano Concerto No.1 and Timpani Concerto (BIS)
7. Gottfried von Einem's Philadelphia Symphony (Orfeo)
8. Sir Richard Rodney Bennett's Symphony No.2 (Chandos)
9. Feliks Nowowiejski's Symphonies Nos. 2 and 3 (Dux)

Added to the recent arrival of three concertos by Harald Genzmer (Capriccio) and Sir Frederic Cowen's Symphony No.5 (EM Records) that is a return to the "good old days".

More please, record labels........ :) :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bobyor
Level 2

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 09:40:53 pm »

Soon there will be Georgiy Conus/Konyus: Piano Music, and Leonid Nikolayev: Piano Music, Cello Sonata (with Rohan de Saram) and songs (with Betty Makharinsky), both from Toccata.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 03:28:46 am »

that will be great.... looking forward to it...
Report Spam   Logged
jonah
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 09:21:07 am »

Dundonnell - my wants list is almost identical to yours, but I am finding that I am buying more CDs (I need the physical item, not a download somewhere in the system!) than ever before because there is so much out there.  The old 'big name' labels seem to concentrate more on 'big name' composers and musicians than on interesting repertoire, which is where labels such as Toccata, Lyrita, Hyperion, Dutton and Chandos score so highly. 
Websites like Toccata, Hyperion and Presto Classical (their physical shop in Leamington Spa is well worth a visit and is the only classical cd shop for many miles) encourage purchases of unknown works by having excerpts available to listen to - many a Toccata cd by composers I had not heard of has been bought after listening to the sound samples.
Could someone on the forum with clout encourage more of the independent companies to make sound excerpts available as a matter of course?
In the meantime, thanks to those who do!
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 10:57:04 am »

Did you consider this fascinating release? https://www.guildmusic.com/shop/wbc.php?tpl=produktdetail.html&pid=17511&rid=261&recno=6
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 12:05:33 pm »

I did more than consider it; I bought the box set

What did I think of the music? I am not quite sure how to respond. It is well-written, not without interest and other such expressions of "faint praise". I just found something missing, something which grabbed my attention. If I were to say that it seems very "Swiss", ie effectively structured, sound, worthy, but a touch "grey" and, ultimately, rather unmemorable that would be crude, cruel and even perhaps just plain unfair.

There are a number of Swiss composers of whom I would like to hear more-Willy Burkhard, Conrad Beck both spring to mind. But I still think that Frank Martin remains as the standout Swiss composer (and of course Bloch and Honegger if we count them as Swiss- as no doubt we should). Diethelm has been fortunate to get these examples of his music on disc. Would I clamour for more? Not very hard, I am afraid. 

I suppose that to be honest the music falls into a similar sort of category as that of Johann Nepomuk David. I have spent quite a lot of time arguing for and waiting for the symphonies to be recorded. I still do But when I get them I am left with the impression that the music is interesting but lacks that inspiration which leads me to return to it often.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 05:32:46 pm »

Ahem, - probably Othmar Schoeck should be in the mix of "standout" Swiss composers, - and I demand that you publicly recognize it here, hehe.

About David's Symphonies your reflections are curious.  I believe all of his Symphonies were available as downloads at UC well before CPO started their series, and like me I'm sure you listened to them at the time.  I myself did so repetitively, in fact, and as a result became indifferent to CPO's typically snail-like release schedule, having judged the cycle rather sterile and uninteresting (excepting No.2).  Was your initial evaluation more enthusiastic, feeding your impatience for the commercial recordings, but then subsequently turned tepid?  Given your insistent demands that CPO "get on with it" after me knowing you were already familiar with the music, it's surprising now to hear you speak so dismissively having then been convinced you felt passionately (based on the downloads).
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 09:51:53 pm »

Ahem, - probably Othmar Schoeck should be in the mix of "standout" Swiss composers, - and I demand that you publicly recognize it here, hehe.

About David's Symphonies your reflections are curious.  I believe all of his Symphonies were available as downloads at UC well before CPO started their series, and like me I'm sure you listened to them at the time.  I myself did so repetitively, in fact, and as a result became indifferent to CPO's typically snail-like release schedule, having judged the cycle rather sterile and uninteresting (excepting No.2).  Was your initial evaluation more enthusiastic, feeding your impatience for the commercial recordings, but then subsequently turned tepid?  Given your insistent demands that CPO "get on with it" after me knowing you were already familiar with the music, it's surprising now to hear you speak so dismissively having been convinced you felt passionately (based on the downloads).

I have no difficulty in adding Schoeck to those Swiss composers I mentioned :)

Regarding Johann Nepomuk David......

You seem determined to probe into the inner workings of my "enthusiasms" ;D

Yes, the symphonies were uploaded elsewhere and, yes, I downloaded them and, yes, I listened to them. However, I find that listening to downloaded music through the speakers attached to my pc whilst sitting in front of my machine is not the ideal for me. I recognised this very early in the process of downloading the vast amount of music so generously provided by others and burned some of it onto cd so that I could listen through the magnificent (although incredibly ancient) speakers which sit on the marble mantelpiece in my sitting room.

All this should enable anyone (including me) to come to a balanced assessment of the quality of the music concerned. And yet.......there is always something missing. There is an almost undefinable "authority" about having the music on a commercial cd with, of course, the often invaluable cd booklet notes.

...and there is the satisfaction of knowing that the music is now available to anyone and everyone who cares to purchase that cd. The composer has, finally, the opportunity of having his music heard by the wider public; the recognition previously denied.

As an enthusiast that gives me a substantial measure of satisfaction. Sometimes I find the music less instantly appealing than I had hoped, sometimes I am blown away by it. I suppose my "enthusiasm" is that of an advocate arguing for my "client", even if that client is not as worthy as I might have hoped. But that does not negate the imperative I feel for (sometimes/often) passionate advocacy.

So....there you go :) I have attempted to explain. If you find my attitude absurd or inconsistent.........tough! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 10:30:01 pm »

......and one more point

This may equally be incomprehensible to you. It is age-related. I grew up as a teenager in the 1960s when the chances of having the music of so many obscure or "unsung" composers' music recorded appeared not remote but totally and utterly impossible. And then later along comes the cd and then the floodgates open. All manner of record labels spring up and the music I never thought I would ever hear or that others would ever hear pours forth. To me that is a miracle, an impossible dream fulfilled.

Should I now in comparatively old age be satisfied and give up? Of course not! I want to see all the composers in whom I am interested with their music on cd. Of course it will not happen in my lifetime but I hope to live long enough to have more yet. Some of the music will be wonderful, some of it will be merely interesting. The more I listen to the music of Johann Nepomuk David the more I think that it falls into the latter category. But I am still curious to find out if I can find more in it. And musical curiosity is, for me, part of the spice of life!
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 11:42:10 pm »

And musical curiosity is, for me, part of the spice of life!

Precisely!
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 03:07:38 am »

And musical curiosity is, for me, part of the spice of life!

Precisely!

The danger though is one becomes a mere dilettante or dabbler, exposed to and familiar with a vast spectrum of (in our case) musical art, and even able to talk/write about it all with some knowingness and fluency, but after all spread so thin in one's endless enthusiasms and search for the new that little really penetrates in any sustained and transforming fashion given the required but refused demand of exclusion and commitment that would require.  It's the Don Juan complex of a mere aesthete who never sleeps with the same woman twice because in such a hurry to get to the next one, but who by continually repeating the act of sleeping with a new woman finds the sought after "spice" finally become boring and monotonous.  Not accusing anyone of this but just identifying a tendency (and recognition) in myself as much as anyone.  Limits can as often be liberating as suffocating.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 12:50:08 pm »

"Dilettante or Dabbler" or "Advocate"? You decide

You have, as ever eloquently, drawn attention to the dangers of the broad brush approach to a knowledge and appreciation of the musical repertoire. I recognise the concerns you express.

My position is as outlined. I am content to leave it at that.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: