The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:45:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Upcoming BIS Releases

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming BIS Releases  (Read 669 times)
kyjo
« on: September 01, 2012, 02:50:59 am »

Nothing particularly exciting (no Hilding Rosenberg complete symphonies cycle in sight :(), but just wanted to point out a few upcoming BIS releases that may interest members here:
- Alan Pettersson: Symphony no. 6 with the Norrkoping SO conducted by Christian Lindberg
-Kalevi Aho: Three Interludes for organ, and "Alles Vergangliche", symphony for organ with Jan Lehtola, organ
-Sharon Bezaly: Pipe Dreams (with the Australian Chamber Orchestra conducted by Richard Tognetti)-
-Jose Serebrier: Flute Concerto with Tango
-Adina Izarra: Pintangus Sulphuratus
-Carl Vine: Pipe Dreams
-Alberto Ginastera: Impresiones de la Puna
 :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 04:40:26 am »

We are not going to get a Hilding Rosenberg symphonic cycle from BIS as long as Robert von Bahr remains in control of his company. Simple as :( :(
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 12:01:11 pm »

We are not going to get a Hilding Rosenberg symphonic cycle from BIS as long as Robert von Bahr remains in control of his company. Simple as :( :(
I wonder what von Bahr has got against Rosenberg? He would appear to fit into the BIS remit! :o I presume he just doesn't like his music,full stop! But what about people who do? Who is he? Mussolini! :o
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 04:46:59 pm »

I have written before about von Bahr's decision-making proccesses ;D

If you wish me to repeat this I shall do.....by pm ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:37:30 pm »

No,I think (if you were referring to me,Dundonnell) you detailed it all very clearly & vociferously,in you're days,on the Gmg thread. It just gets a bit to you at times,as you know. You start thinking are cd labels really listening to what we music lovers want,or are they just some kind of self serving & very costly vanity project?! Churning out all the usual suspects to keep themselves afloat & gradually ticking off their own private 'shopping lists' of composers & music,they have always dreamed of hearing,themselves.. Which would explain all those mysterious omissions,in their catalogues,e.g. Bis churning out complete cycles of virtually every important scandinavian symphonist,you can think of,but always,inexplicably,avoiding the influential & highly rated,Rosenberg,in favour of (for example) Alfven & Dag Wiren! And Chandos who mysteriously avoid even answering forum posts,or portions of emails or letters relating to a certain,William Havergal Brian!
Anyway,'nuff' said! ;D
On a personal level,I have to admit I stopped looking at the Bis pre-release lists some time ago! They just don't hold any excitement for me anymore! But,as von Bahr might say,each to his own! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:53:40 pm »

It all boils down to a combination of Money and Taste ;D

What will sell in sufficient quantities (even if small quantities to a niche market) to finance other projects and keep the accountants content (if not exactly happy ;D) ???

And what does the owner/s of a small or smallish company like ???

The late Ted Parry of Hyperion liked Robert Simpson's music, ergo.......

Mike Dutton of the eponymous company needs to be persuaded by Lewis Foreman that a composer is "worth" recording.

Burkhard Schmilgun at CPO will get almost anything recorded with a little persuasion and once committed will record everything he can of that composer's music using radio orchestras which have contracts with their musicians which allow them to be used without extra payments. (The idea of recording all the Searle symphonies actually came from the then CEO/MD of the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra ;D).

The trouble with Rosenberg will be Symphonies Nos. 4 and 5 which require soloists and choruses-they cost more money ::)  Maybe Klaus Heymann at Naxos has the money required ??? But at the moment he is on a "let's record every single note ever written by Penderecki and Casella" kick (which is no bad thing, I hasten to add, except that Chandos are also on a Casella-spree ;D).

At the end of the day though it really does come back to money :(
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: