The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:25:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Mascagni's 'Silvano' at Scottish Opera in April 2019

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mascagni's 'Silvano' at Scottish Opera in April 2019  (Read 188 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2018, 03:18:46 pm »

I appreciate this is sometime away.  Unfortunately, unlike Isabeau at Holland Park in July, not a production but a concert performance of Mascagni's fifth performed opera.  I am pretty certain this is, like Isabeau in July, the UK premiere of Silvano

Premiered at La Scala, Milan on 25th March, 1895 - just over a month from the premiere of Guglielmo Ratcliff at the same opera house - Silvano is arguably the only purely veristic Mascagni opera after Cavalleria Rusticana.  Not a project Mascagni was enthusiastic about and an opera that is usually regarded as theatrically ineffective.  Nonetheless, as a listening experience, a score over packed with inventive, lyrical and memorable music.  I am aware of three commercial CD releases.  It is in Mascagni's early style (i.e. prior to the more sophisticated style commencing with Iris 1898 and followed in six of his eight subsequently performed operas).

See: https://www.scottishopera.org.uk/shows/silvano/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 08:04:48 pm »

Emma Bell is certainly "the right stuff" for that repertoire..   I wonder who the others will be?   No information so far on the title role...  or any of the others ;)
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 05:30:39 pm »

Emma Bell is certainly "the right stuff" for that repertoire..   I wonder who the others will be?   No information so far on the title role...  or any of the others ;)

Further information says:

"This [i.e. Puccini's Edgar in a concert performance] is followed in April 2019 by the long-overdue Scottish premiere of Mascagni’s Silvano, a passionate seafaring story whose hard-hitting drama is reminiscent of the composer’s celebrated Cavalleria rusticana. Conducted by Stuart Stratford, Silvano tells the tale of a love triangle that ends in death and despair, and includes the Barcarolle famously featured in Scorsese’s Raging Bull. It is performed in City Halls, Glasgow and at the Usher Hall, Edinburgh with soloists including acclaimed soprano Emma Bell as Matilde.

Given the Barcarolle is sung by Silvano, a tenor in the title role, it seems strange that the tenor is not mentioned yet.

I have booked tickets for two of the perfomances of Isabeau in July with a 20-20 match at Lord's in the intervening evening!  As I am due to be at home in Glasgow on the date of the concert performance, I intend to book a ticket to attend Silvano. :D ;D :) ::)

Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 07:32:11 pm »

Given the Barcarolle is sung by Silvano, a tenor in the title role, it seems strange that the tenor is not mentioned yet.

Although the performances are still a year off, I'm sure SO have given due thought to the matter  ;-)  Very often the cast will be mostly firmed-up by this stage - but the details remain confidential until a later date, for PR or contractual reasons.  Or just to keep some dry powder in reserve for a bombshell Press Release nearer the date - to prompt a flurry for tickets :-)

I doubt I can get to either Isabeau or Silvano, but I'm sure that both will be worth attending for those without trans-continental journeys involved :-)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: