The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:04:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

File conversion software

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: File conversion software  (Read 841 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2018, 01:42:10 pm »

There used to be quite a few free downloads of file conversion software on the web. Some of them had a limit of so many days;or a limited number of conversions before they stopped working. You could get around that by downloading it again,of course. I did find some software that converted audio & video files,without a limit on days or the number of times you could use it. Unfortunately,it went down with my last pc! What  "Free" software do members use here here,currently. And if I do choose to pay? Which software would be the best choice,and not break the bank?! (NB: The more file formats it can handle,the better!) And what about ones that do video,as well? Sometimes I need to! I am using two with a 21 day limit,at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest224
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 01:58:30 pm »

What is it that you are trying to convert?  From what to what?
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 02:18:50 pm »

Audio files,at the moment. In the last few days I've converted FLAC and MP4 music files to MP3's. I use other software for Zip files and RAR. Usually to Mp3. Apologies,for not making myself more clear!
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 02:35:47 pm »

I would use Audacity, which is free, and is an all-purpose audio editor; rather more than just a conversion tool. But you can import an audio file in one format and export it in another. You can also edit it and tidy it up in the process if so desired. Also good for recording. You do have to search for add-on libraries to handle .mp3 and .m4a, but they are not hard to find.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:19:25 am »

I would use Audacity, which is free, and is an all-purpose audio editor; rather more than just a conversion tool. But you can import an audio file in one format and export it in another. You can also edit it and tidy it up in the process if so desired. Also good for recording. You do have to search for add-on libraries to handle .mp3 and .m4a, but they are not hard to find.
Thank you,Gauk. I did have Audacity on my old pc. I must admit I haven't really explored most of it's functions,as I'm still a bit of an analogue man at heart ::). I will read up about it,now. Previously,I have only used it for the odd online recording,and a bit of simple editing.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 01:02:24 pm »

Audio files,at the moment. In the last few days I've converted FLAC and MP4 music files to MP3's. I use other software for Zip files and RAR. Usually to Mp3. Apologies,for not making myself more clear!

I usually use www.media.io
Report Spam   Logged
nigelkeay
Level 2

Times thanked: 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 09:30:29 am »

For Mac OS "Handbrake" is useful if the source is video.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: