The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:05:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Hello, I’m Mirror Image

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello, I’m Mirror Image  (Read 1006 times)
Mirror Image
« on: April 03, 2018, 12:52:57 am »

Hello All,

I’m new to the forum after being invited by a member here (I’m not sure if mentioning their name would be prudent). I’m a current member of the GMG (Good Music Guide) forum, which I’ve been a member of for quite some time. Some of you may know me from there. My interests in music, specifically classical music, are mainly from the late 19th Century through the mid-20th Century (with a few exceptions here and there). Some of my favorite composers: Debussy, Ravel, Bartók, Stravinsky, Janáček, Martinů, Ives, Schoenberg, Berg, Villa-Lobos, Poulenc, Takemitsu, Mahler, Copland, Szymanowski, among others. I don’t know much about this forum, but it seems like a cool place to hangout.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest377
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 05:32:03 am »

Welcome !!   Unlike other forums out there... the members usually drive the discussion as opposed to the moderators leading a two way discussion..... so at times it can get quiet... but anyway... welcome!!!  feel free to browse the contents, there is a lot here!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 06:13:36 am »

He came and he went

The reasons given on Facebook for cancelling his membership after just a few hours were that -
he was not given an immediate welcome
the site seemed to him too focused on orchestral music and on composers of whom he had never heard
the site was too quiet

Sad! It was I who had suggested that he join. Members are totally free to discuss the music of any composer and works in any format. If they stick around they may well encounter music which is new to them and which they enjoy.
Leaving only a few hours after joining is not giving the site a chance and seems to me unfortunate!
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 10:33:37 am »

the site seemed to him too focused on orchestral music

::)
Report Spam   Logged
djarvie
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 12:44:44 pm »

composers of whom he had never heard

That's precisely why I find the forum so rewarding!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 12:50:27 pm »

Oh,dear! Has he really,gone? I was just about to add my "Welcome"! I like his contributions at the GMG. He can be combative,at times. But he always explains,why;and usually has a good reason. Unlike some people who just seemed to want to be argumentative,or unpleasant;just for the sake of it! And he's just passionate about music. I often look at his posts,if I want to know something about a composer,I'm unfamiliar with;or considering acquiring a recording. I think he could have helped invigorate debate here. Also,the GMG Forum is,currently,"moving servers"!
As to,there being too much focus on orchestral music,here. I've been gradually listening through a massive pile of operas,over the last two weeks! There are more in the post!! ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 01:34:59 pm »

He came and he went

The reasons given on Facebook for cancelling his membership after just a few hours were that -
he was not given an immediate welcome
the site seemed to him too focused on orchestral music and on composers of whom he had never heard
the site was too quiet

Leaving only a few hours after joining is not giving the site a chance and seems to me unfortunate!

Almost psychotic if you ask me, - or perhaps at least just a little bit immature.

I can only advise Colin to show better judgment in his recruitment choices, hehe.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 02:47:18 pm »

He is a friend on Facebook and when he lamented the fact that GMG was offline I suggested that he have a look see here. He could have done that without actually joining. To join and then leave seems ill-judged and over-hasty.

I can only repeat that the site is what its members make it (and most definitely not what the moderators insist it should be)
 If members want to discuss musical forms other than orchestral they are very welcome to do so. My own preferences are well-known and I am not disposed to use my time writing about subjects of which I know nothing or music which has no appeal to me.

Equally we cannot guarantee a response or responses to any particular topic. Sometimes the stone sinks into the water without a ripple. That is the nature of online forums.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 03:18:15 pm »

Sometimes the stone sinks into the water without a ripple. That is the nature of online forums.

and that is not a bad thing...sometimes I see a post from a few years ago and then I start the thread up again, esp. if I recently acquired a recording of the composer. 
Enjoy!
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 05:13:29 pm »

One of the curious things about these "Greetings" threads is that in most cases their initiators rarely if ever posted again after introducing themselves.  My own sentiment is that the proper way of announcing one's presence in an internet forum is to just start posting on its various topics of interest (or start one's own) rather than deliberately telling us all about yourself and then disappearing.  There's something affectatious about the latter course, - like the point was to draw attention but not contribute anything. 
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 07:12:51 am »

>:(
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
guest377
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 04:36:38 pm »

I just logged in at the GMG forum.. forgot that I had already set up an account there.. but the layout is similar to the UC forum and I find it hard to find topics there, unlike the directory of information here.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: