The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:30:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

David Diamond Symphony No.6 from Naxos

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: David Diamond Symphony No.6 from Naxos  (Read 2600 times)
Paulp
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2018, 07:17:01 am »

Well, having finally had a chance to listen to Symphony 6, I find myself liking it quite a bit. It makes considerable intellectual demands on the listener, but it's no more forbidding a work than, say, the 3rd or 6th symphonies of Diamond's teacher Roger Sessions. In any case, I caught enough in my first hearing to want to go back and listen to it again, and that's surely what matters.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2018, 02:15:51 pm »

Well, having finally had a chance to listen to Symphony 6, I find myself liking it quite a bit. It makes considerable intellectual demands on the listener, but it's no more forbidding a work than, say, the 3rd or 6th symphonies of Diamond's teacher Roger Sessions. In any case, I caught enough in my first hearing to want to go back and listen to it again, and that's surely what matters.

Nobody will be surprised that I agree with this observation :)
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 12:55:26 pm »

Just catching up with the interesting responses here. Let me state for starters that I'm only too happy for people to disagree with my opinions! I have no monopoly of insight on this, or anything else for that matter. That, for me, is the fun of these kinds of forums. Who on earth would want a forum where everyone agreed with you all the time? Anyway, I get very used to people disagreeing with me at home and even in his speech at my wedding my brother said that my wife was 'doomed to years of listening to music by deservedly neglected composers'. One 'friend' suggested that he could have just stopped after the word 'doomed'.

Anyway, I have the greatest respect for my friend Colin's views and those of Greg and the others here. I think that Diamond's Third is one of the very great American symphonies but still find No.6 rather heavy going and would not put it in the same league as VW's No.6 or even Alwyn's Third Symphony as suggested in the Musicweb review. William Schuman's 6th Symphony is a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned and, so far, I much prefer it to Diamond's No.6 but I will listen to the Diamond again and am glad to have the CD for the fine performances of Rounds (which I appreciated more than before) and the lovely Romeo and Juliet. I seem to recall preferring Diamond's 8th Symphony which was on Delos/Naxos.

Apropos of nothing let me recommend Philip Spratley's Third Symphony 'Sinfonia Pascale' to you and Fricker's 'Vision of Judgement' - his masterpiece I think.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2018, 05:11:57 pm »

Ha yes I was excited when I got the CD in the mail. I hurriedly put it in the player in my den and when No 6 came on my wife thought someone was in the street making a horrible noise. I said no that’s the CD player. So I’ll have to listen with headphones I guess.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2018, 08:10:47 pm »

Ha yes I was excited when I got the CD in the mail. I hurriedly put it in the player in my den and when No 6 came on my wife thought someone was in the street making a horrible noise. I said no that’s the CD player. So I’ll have to listen with headphones I guess.
Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who experiences this kind of thing!

'Must we listen to this noise?' and 'It sounds like World War Three has broken out' are common responses to my musical selection.
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2018, 10:41:42 pm »

I've had to listen to music through headphones my entire life!
 ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2018, 06:40:38 pm »

Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who experiences this kind of thing!

'Must we listen to this noise?' and 'It sounds like World War Three has broken out' are common responses to my musical selection.

Yes... I started listening to his other symphonies last night for reference... I'm thinking this Symphony no 6 is somewhat of an aberration ....  maybe  William Schuman (another New Yorker) may had some influence....
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: