The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:39:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

David Diamond Symphony No.6 from Naxos

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: David Diamond Symphony No.6 from Naxos  (Read 2579 times)
guest377
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 04:35:03 pm »

perhaps this is the start of using University Student orchestras... for unsung composers... after all they work for free and get credit for these performances.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 09:10:14 pm »

Many university orchestras are nothing to sneeze at! I've heard some outstanding performances from some that put regional professional orchestras to shame.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 11:21:36 pm »

You are of course quite right to point this out I look forward to the cd's release
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 01:01:06 am »

Community orchestras in the upper echelon are also very good.  I love youth orchestras, university orchestras, and community orchestras when they are in the top ranks.  They can play almost anything. 
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 12:52:27 pm »

The new Naxos cd took ten days to reach me from date of postage by Presto Classical. The company responded immediately to my initial email about the delay, offering a replacement. When the original order arrived today I notified Presto and again received an immediate reply with thanks for letting them know and renewed apologies.

Now this-unlike recent experience with a British record label-is the way to handle good customers and retain their loyalty

I shall comment on the Diamond and the Kevin Puts cd when I have listened to both.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 05:29:39 pm »

How right you are, Dundonnell. Incidentally, did you ever receive a reply from Lewis Foreman? It's not like him to ignore a letter.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 05:46:07 pm »

How right you are, Dundonnell. Incidentally, did you ever receive a reply from Lewis Foreman? It's not like him to ignore a letter.

I am afraid that the short answer is No. And what makes Lewis's silence about this more than a little surprising is that he had written to me not so long ago requesting my permission to quote something I had written about John Veale in a book he is writing. I had thought I might merit a response to my email about the Boyle cd.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 11:55:52 pm »

I shall comment on the Diamond and the Kevin Puts cd when I have listened to both.

Everyone will have their own individual response, of course, but in comments on another forum Jeffrey (Vandermoelen) was decidedly unenthusiastic about Diamond's Symphony, describing it as aridly modernistic (using different words) and not a patch on the much more generous humanity of Symphonies 1-4, - a work not likely to gain repeat listening in any but the most dutiful fashion.  Given Jeffrey's penchant for gaming a positive response to even the most doubtfully appealing music, I fear this could be a very tough piece to like very much.  I await some alternative reviews before deciding to chance it myself.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 03:00:54 am »

Rob Barnett's review on Musicweb:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/May/Diamond_sy6_8559842.htm
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 10:40:34 am »

In the other place (Composer Discussion) I noted I had just listened to my copy of the CD and it is very good. Rounds and R & J are played with chamber-ensemble like delicacy and the Symphony No.6 receives a first-class performance. I see the middle period Diamond as continuing the energy and connection of the music of the first 5 symphonies with a more astringent musical language. But these works are just as energetic and likeable, for me anyway. Looking forward to the remaining symphonies (if they emerge).
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 04:56:22 pm »

So, I am put in the position of potentially having to defend the "modernism" of Diamond's 6th symphony against the criticisms of my good friend Jeffrey(vandermolen)

Yes, the 6th is a spikier, more aggressive, dissonant, angrier symphony than some of Diamond's others but so what? Vaughan Williams's 6th is a lot more violent than the Pastoral or the 5th. Composers are allowed to compose music which demonstrates other styles, moods, responses. The Diamond 6th does not make for particularly comfortable listening but the same can be said and is said about most if not all of William Schuman's later symphonies. The Diamond is not a symphony I shall return to often but it is clearly what the composer intended (as RVW said of his own fourth).
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 06:26:35 pm »

All in all a rather forced (if not grudging) defense, and in substance a not much different evaluation from Jeffrey's own. Diamond's freedom to write what he meant I don't believe was in question, but the communicative power of its outcome.  Some uncomfortable works we return to again and again because of a certain resonance we feel, but saying (like Jeffrey) repeated listening in this case is unlikely implies a definite lack in that regard.  Assuming your mind doesn't change, and disregarding the meaning his Symphony held for Diamond himself, you might even have to say "it fails", - or am I drawing the wrong conclusion?
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2018, 10:32:48 pm »

That's a good review, and saying similar things to what I said.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 11:07:09 pm »

That's a good review, and saying similar things to what I said.

I didn't read Barnett's review as any ringing endorsement, - not of the 6th Symphony, at least
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 01:43:26 pm »

I think that there is a midway position between "a ringing endorsement" and "aridly modernistic"(or words to that effect) which is close enough to "I don't like it and would not recommend others to bother with it". In fact I doubt that Jeffrey would ever go as far as the second part of that imagined statement. I know that I wouldn't. I learned through unpleasant experience elsewhere that expressing my active dislike of a composer's music can call down incensed vituperative attack. That may make for good "theatre" and increased readership but is ultimately pretty pointless. What does I matter if I find the music of Fartein Valen oppressive or Pierre Boulez incomprehensible. Others see or rather hear things I do not.

I prefer-as you know very well by now - to share my enthusiasms rather than my negative reactions in the hope that those who share or might share some at least of my tastes are made aware of the existence on or not yet on cd of music which interests me.

We cannot reach any proper assessment of a composer's symphonies unless we hear them. The Diamond 6th was available only in a pretty dreadful off-air recording of the 1957 Munch premiere. That is why I welcomed and still welcome its appearance on disc. If it is not warmly romantic, instantly attractive or merit "a ringing endorsement" that does not mean that others should not investigate and find out for themselves I am not a universal guru of good taste . I have been accused(and I use the word in gentlest sense) of an excess of enthusiasm about a lot of "unsung music" but that enthusiasm is actually often focussed on getting an opportunity to finally hear it in a modern good quality performance and recording. I am Not always "bowled over" when I do get to finally hear it  Doesn't mean others can't have a different and equally valid reaction!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: