The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:04:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ongoing Naxos series of Saint-Saens orchestral cycle

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing Naxos series of Saint-Saens orchestral cycle  (Read 524 times)
guest377
« on: March 29, 2018, 08:41:38 pm »

Naxos is producing an impressive series and made me go back and listen to some old recordings of good old Saint-Saens. 
The latest dish is the SAINT-SAËNS Piano Concertos, Vol. 3 - Nos. 4 and 5 with the Malmö Symphony, another top notch orchestra.
Enjoy...   and please can we have some unsung composers???
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 02:44:20 am »

I am not quite sure that is entirely fair. Naxos actually has a remarkable history of recording the music of a very considerable number of "unsung composers"
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 12:13:06 pm »

and please can we have some unsung composers???

Saint-Saens wrote twelve operas. Other than Samson et Dalila they are uniformly 'unsung', and recordings are sparse or non-existent.

Although I realise that the musical form of opera is mostly unsung on this message-board.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 02:59:56 pm »

Other than Samson et Dalila they are uniformly 'unsung', and recordings are sparse or non-existent.

I agree, although Henry VIII was recorded by Chant du Monde in 1991 (I think) and more recently Ediciones Singulares have released excellent recordings of Proserpine and Les Barbares, and I understand Le timbre d'argent may follow. I think there was a 2008 recording of Helene on the Melba label, if memory serves me right - don't know what it is like or if it is still available. So he is not doing too badly - at least of late.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 03:58:45 pm »

Yes,  you are correct Colin. Naxos does have a lot of unsung releases.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 08:52:40 pm »

Other than Samson et Dalila they are uniformly 'unsung', and recordings are sparse or non-existent.

I agree, although Henry VIII was recorded by Chant du Monde in 1991 (I think) and more recently Ediciones Singulares have released excellent recordings of Proserpine and Les Barbares, and I understand Le timbre d'argent may follow. I think there was a 2008 recording of Helene on the Melba label, if memory serves me right - don't know what it is like or if it is still available. So he is not doing too badly - at least of late.

There is a recording of Le Timbre d'Argent on UC.... And someone here or there said there is a plan afoot to record Ascanio.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: