The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:12:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Brilliant release of Russian Piano Concertos Box Set 15CDs

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brilliant release of Russian Piano Concertos Box Set 15CDs  (Read 234 times)
guest377
« on: March 20, 2018, 06:22:05 pm »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078X9KRDQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

All,
Thought I would post this link to Amazon  UK division.... this would be of interest to any Piano Concerto fans (like me)...

funny how they classify      Moszkowski    Paderewski   Scharwenka  as Russian?  Anyway it looks like a good buy for £41.49  (~USD$52)

Dave
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest145
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 07:10:21 pm »

It seems to me that Paderewski in particular should be rolling over in his grave, in outrage at being classified Russian.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 07:16:02 pm »

It seems to me that Paderewski in particular should be rolling over in his grave, in outrage at being classified Russian.

yes  I agree.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 11:22:59 am »

The product description ends thusly:

"Adding extra spice to the set are the concertos by Scharwenka and Moszkowski, Polish by birth but Slavic in spirit."

I probably have almost all these in other recordings.

The Rimsky-Korsakov concerto is considered by Jeremy Norris in volume 1 of his study of Russian piano concertos, to be the best of all 19th century concertos by Russian composers. Sadly, he seems never to have written volume 2.

The box set unfortunately has no Tcherepnin, neither father nor son. The piano concerto by the father is a most interesting one-movement work (C# minor, Op. 30, 1905). I have the first bar on my p.h.o.n.e as a message alert!

[Note to Dundonnell - please could you see if you can turn off the childish text substitution in the site's software? It's ridiculous having to main certain words in order for them to display!]
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: