The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:19:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Dutton?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dutton?  (Read 5291 times)
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2018, 10:52:48 am »

Any news on new Dutton releases for the coming month(s)? I wonder when this recording will be released f.i. http://johnpickard.co.uk/reviews/in-concert-bristol-university-so-john-pickard-the-vision-of-cleopatra/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 02:05:49 pm »

There are a considerable number of Dutton cds just awaiting release and Lewis Foreman had been frantically writing the booklet notes for them.

I gather they will be released in batches and the Brian disc will be included. I cannot say more because I am bound by confidentiality but Albion has already hinted at one of them From another website I can say that there will be a fourth disc of music by Braunfels but it has only recently been recorded so may be in a later release batch.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 06:47:15 pm »

According to the latest newsletter of the Havergal Brian Society the Dutton cd featuring "The Vision of Cleopatra" will be available from late May or early June.

One can assume that it will be one of a batch of releases 
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 11:43:43 am »

Ina Boyle etc.:
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/products.php?cat=385
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 02:34:57 pm »

Thanks for the link. This is the first batch of new releases but there are more to come

Speaking personally, I welcome the Ina Boyle disc which I shall order with enthusiasm. I shall buy the Stanford but, as very early works, I am not expecting masterpieces. The Elgar puzzles me slightly: the works included are so short and, in most cases, are already on disc. However others will welcome the collection no doubt

I do get the distinct feeling that Dutton is concentrating now more on late 19th and early 20th century music. Apart from Havergal Brian- whose music was heavily funded by the HBS- the company has always preferred the romantic and neo-romantic (Richard Arnell being a case in point). Nothing wrong with that of course but I don't think we can expect much post 1945 from them in the future.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 10:16:16 pm »

I am similarly puzzled by the Elgar and, while I shall buy and almost certainly enjoy the Stanford disk, the real treat for me here is Ina Boyle, a very unjustly neglected composer IMHO.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 12:03:34 am »

Thanks for the link. This is the first batch of new releases but there are more to come

Speaking personally, I welcome the Ina Boyle disc which I shall order with enthusiasm. I shall buy the Stanford but, as very early works, I am not expecting masterpieces. The Elgar puzzles me slightly: the works included are so short and, in most cases, are already on disc. However others will welcome the collection no doubt

I do get the distinct feeling that Dutton is concentrating now more on late 19th and early 20th century music. Apart from Havergal Brian- whose music was heavily funded by the HBS- the company has always preferred the romantic and neo-romantic (Richard Arnell being a case in point). Nothing wrong with that of course but I don't think we can expect much post 1945 from them in the future.
Dear Dundonnell
I will suggest Gipps,Milford,Davie Thorpe,Gundry,Demuth,Robin Orr and extra UK Jean Coulthard , Miriam Hyde and Robert Hughes.
Best
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 11:07:03 am »

Only the Ina Boyle of the new Dutton releases (which is stated to be a pre-order) interests me.  It appears to have been made possible by crowdfunding.

See: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/discovering-ina-boyle/
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 03:56:40 pm »

That is remarkable  So, as I understand it, 100 people financed the recording by raising £10,000 (which I believe is roughly the going rate). The new EM recording of Frederic Cowen and Percy Sherwood was I think similarly financed.

I wonder......

I have ordered the Boyle. I have also ordered the Stanford-but mainly out of a sense of "duty" and my "completist" obsession
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 01:23:59 am »

I am very interested in this composer I never heard of prior to this thread.  Also very curious about the extremely low price to fund the recording.  Surely this is subsidized, right?  I've used eastern European orchestras (considered a good value) and £10,000 funds about two hours of the recording session, nowhere near enough to produce a full cd worth of high-quality music. 
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 01:55:02 am »

I do not know the answer to your question. If, as you say, £10,000 does not go far to finance such a recording- and I would guess from the wording of your post that you know a great deal more about this than I do ;D-then clearly additional funding must have come from somewhere. The Ina Boyle cd-and by the way her musixc is well worth hearing :)-was recorded by the BBC Concert Orchestra and I might hazard a guess that the BBC had "some involvement".

We are back into the murky waters of how much cds cost to make and who pays for them ::) The Havergal Brian Society is raising (has almost raised) £100,000 to record the Opera "Faust". The hugely expensive Dutton recording of Brian's Symphonies Nos. 2 and 14 was almost aborted but was saved by a gift of £40,000 from an incredibly generous member (now sadly deceased) of the HBS. The forthcoming Linn Records release of Thomas Wilson symphonies was (very probably) privately funded.

I have been critical of companies like Dutton for not providing more information on forthcoming releases but I can fully understand that "where the money comes from" is not a subject which they are going to discuss openly.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 02:17:58 am »

This is a wonderful lot of releases from my point of view. Stanford never disappoints, and even early works interest me (the Cello Concerto, for example); even the Elgar I was pleased about, as I have only one or two versions of these little pieces, and for me they are as lovely as the big works. As for The Mountebanks, I've wanted to hear it since I plonked out the vocal score on the piano as a teenager when Mrs. Thatcher was still in office. And Ina Boyle interests me very much. Interesting that Stanford and Boyle are packaged as non-British retrospectively: I'm not sure the ultra-unionist Stanford would approve, though I have no idea about Boyle's likely views.

The work I am most waiting for is Sullivan's Light of the World, but I can hang on (well, I have to).
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 03:56:48 am »

Only the Ina Boyle of the new Dutton releases (which is stated to be a pre-order) interests me.  It appears to have been made possible by crowdfunding.

See: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/discovering-ina-boyle/

Wow.. glad to see that crowd funding worked again.... would like to see Zolotarev's symphonies via crowdfunding.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 09:57:28 am »

Have ordered the Ina Boyle. She was a pupil of VW I think and the Violin Concerto sounds very fine. My favourite Dutton releases of recent years are Steinberg's 4th Symphony (a surprising release for Dutton) and the symphonies by Stanley Bate and, before that, Richard Arnell. I also wish that Dutton would record Ruth Gipps's wonderful 4th Symphony.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 11:34:56 am »

Amongst my favourite Dutton releases,of recent years,have been the Havergal Brian cds,and,particularly,the two cd's of orchestral music by Joseph Holbrooke. I've got to admit to being a bit of a fan of his darkly,gothic muse.More please,Dutton!! ;D
Oh,and I did enjoy the cd's of Arnell's ballet music. Punch and the child,is a particular favourite. I've liked the score ever since I heard the Beecham recording. A wonderful score. Haunting,tuneful,and just a bit spooky!! The Great Detective,is not far behind,in some ways. I like the humour.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: