The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:43:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Roger Sacheverell Coke, 1912-1972

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roger Sacheverell Coke, 1912-1972  (Read 1745 times)
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 10:08:10 pm »

The CD is scheduled for release in summer 2017, but if the editing goes well it might be out sooner - but definitely not till next year. It will be part of the RPC series.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 12:35:11 am »

Thank you for the update,Grandenorm;and for your work in promoting Joseph Holbrooke,by the way! I look forward to this cd.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 09:12:01 am »

The CD is scheduled for release in summer 2017, but if the editing goes well it might be out sooner - but definitely not till next year. It will be part of the RPC series.

Up until volumes in the late 20s I was an avid collector of the RPC series but since then have probably only bought about 4 volumes.  However, based on what I have read about Sacheverell Coke, and listening to the little of his music available on You Tube, this is on my definite purchase list and I look forward to it being released.  I hope the music proves more attractive and persuasive than, for example, the Bowen Fourth or the Somervell Concerto and Variations both of which, for me, fell short of the high expectations I had based on reading about the works several years previously.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 02:07:44 pm »

I finally found the off air recording I made,of the Coke Piano concerto,on my pc. I made a cd-r of this last night,coupling it with a paid download I've had for ages,and not listened to,of the Conifer recording of Bridge's Phantasm. I had an idea it might be a suitable fill-up (albeit the Bridge is a little more than a fill-up!). I had a listen through some of it last night. Alas! It was time for bed!! :( On this hearing,however,I have to say that,this time around,I DID enjoy what I was hearing! Coke's writing reminds me allot of those old Golden age Hollywood melodramas. And I don't mean that in a disparaging way! Hangover Square is one example that springs to mind,where the doomed,frustrated composer continues to perform his concerto even as a fire engulfs the concert hall around him. (The audience,and orchestra,very sensibly,fleeing the inferno around them). If you like slightly ott,no holds barred,late romantic piano concertos,or concertante style works,this strikes me as rather good fun. British Piano concertos tend to be a little staid in this respect (although there are exceptions;Bax's Winter Legends being one example) so something a little more heart on sleeve and unbuttoned,strikes me as a welcome diversion. Perhaps the only vital ingredient missing being that hummable tune that goes around in your head after you finish listening! I understand the Hyperion cd will be released before long. I think this will be a pre-order,as I will now want to hear the remainder!! ;D :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 12:27:39 pm »

Having been offline for about five months,I was interested to read the reviews of the Hyperion release of his Piano concertos on Musicweb. I wish I could feel as impressed by what I have heard. Nevertheless,considering what a sad life he had,and all the problems he had to contend with,it's rather nice to learn that others respond more positively to this music than I do. Recording of the Month,no less! And I'd be the first to admit that,Gareth Vaughan and Simon Callaghan,know a heck of allot more about music than I do;so,they must know!! ;D I do like his solo piano music and Violin Sonata,though;and the 'Scriabinesque' first movement of the Fourth Piano concerto is rather intriguing! I look forward to more releases of his music.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: