The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:49:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

British music on Chandos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British music on Chandos  (Read 1454 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2012, 07:19:36 am »

Up for October release -

CHAN10739

BRITISH CLARINET CONCERTOS , VOL. 1

Gerald Finzi (1901-1956): Clarinet Concerto, Op. 31 / Five Bagatelles, Op. 23a
Sir Malcolm Arnold (1921-2006): Clarinet Concerto No. 2, Op. 115
Sir Charles Villiers Stanford (1852-1924): Clarinet Concerto, Op. 80

Michael Collins (clarinet)/ BBC Symphony Orchestra, Michael Collins

CHAN10742

Frederick Delius (1862-1934)

Paris: A Nocturne
Piano Concerto (original 1897 version)
Idylle de printemps: Morceau symphonique
Brigg Fair: An English Rhapsody

Howard Shelley (piano)/ Royal Scottish National Orchestra / Sir Andrew Davis

CHAN10741

BRITISH WORKS FOR CELLO AND PIANO, Vol. 1

Sir Charles Hubert H. Parry (1848-1918): Sonata in A major
John Foulds (1880-1939): Sonata, Op. 6
Frederick Delius (1862-1934): Sonata
Sir Granville Bantock (1868-1946): Hamabdil

Paul Watkins (cello), Huw Watkins (piano)

CHAN10740

Hubert Parry (1848-1918)

The Glories of Our Blood and State
Te Deum (Coronation)
Magnificat
England
Jerusalem (original orchestration)
Suite from ‘The Birds’ (Aristophanes)

Amanda Roocroft (soprano)/ BBC National Chorus and Orchestra of Wales / Neeme Järvi

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kyjo
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:57:08 am »

Thanks for the heads up, Albion :). Although there's nothing super rare here (I was hoping for some Sacheverell Coke ;)), it'll be of interest to me and other people here.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 12:24:25 pm »

The British Works for Cello & Piano looks 'up my street'! Nice to see a bit 'more' Bantock....and from Chandos! Also,Foulds,Parry....sounds good to me! :)

(I was hoping for some Holbrooke or Daniel Jones,myself! ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 03:18:11 pm »

The Parry looks an attractive proposition but the trouble with Chandos now seems to be that the company is recycling the same repertoire it has recorded in the past but with new artists(Sir Andrew Davis, in particular).

Understandable....... but not as appealing to those of us on the look out for never-recorded repertoire.

Coupled with Dutton's over-reliance (in my opinion, of course ;D ;D) on the earlier "romantic" British music times are tough for those of us (tiny band, I know) who are looking for something by composers like Arnold Cooke, William Wordsworth, Daniel Jones.....let alone Fricker, Hamilton or Hoddinott.

Still...we are promised an Alan Bush series from Dutton :)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 05:56:56 pm »

Yes, I completely agree that there is nothing here in terms of truly ground-breaking releases. The highlight for me will undoubtedly be the chance to hear a number of substantial choral scores by Parry which have not been performed professionally in decades, particularly The Glories of Our Blood and State (1883) and the large-scale Magnificat (1897). I'm intrigued by the fact that the Clarinet Concerto and Cello-plus-piano discs are clearly touted as series-openers, so there may be something a little more adventurous around the corner ...

:-\

Regarding the recording of British repertoire generally, there does need to be more of a balance struck between 'safe' repertoire (relatively speaking) and that which offers more of a challenge. If quality was the prime criterion, by now we should at least have (or at least have in progress) complete commercial symphonic cycles of Butterworth, Gipps, Jones, Hoddinott, Cooke, Wordsworth and Fricker together with other examples of their best works in other areas. I would dearly like to see continuing attention given to exploring earlier eras - Potter, Cowen, Drysdale, Mackenzie, Holbrooke, Victorian and Edwardian opera and choral music in general - but certainly not at the total expense of the mid-later 20th century figures already mentioned.

The prospect of further new recordings of Alan Bush from Dutton is very welcome in this context and, of course, there seems to be an encouraging commitment to Havergal Brian from the same company ...

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 07:11:25 pm »

Nothing of great enterprise here.  However, it appears the Goossens series is continuing.  I read somewhere (some time ago) that a piece for harp and orchestra has been recorded.  Chandos have previously indicated a wish to record Mackenzie with Andrew Davies as well as some Drysdale.  These would be interesting releases!

The Best British music release of recent times, to my taste, is the Dutton early and late Vaughan Williams disc, a delight from start to finish and well worth repeated listenings.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 08:35:03 pm »

This reminds me of a letter I sent to Chandos some years ago. Apparently my letter was handed to Brian Couzens himself,who expressed enthusiasm for my suggestions,which included,amongst others,Holbrooke & Ethel Smyth (I can't remember the others! :(). They assured me that they were very interested in recording Holbrooke & were planning a series of Ethel Smyth cds!
That was over ten years ago! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 09:14:15 pm »

That wouldn't be Ralph Couzens you're talking about, would it? ??? ::) :)
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 12:21:20 am »

I hope for Gipps,Thorpe Davie,Robin Orr , Milford and Howard Ferguson.
 ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 03:10:10 am »

Yes, the Michael Collins cd is billed as British Clarinet Concertos, Vol.1 (although one never knows with Chandos; they aborted their Malcolm Williamson series and messed-up on the Lennox Berkeley series).

So.....we are getting the Stanford, the Finzi and the Malcolm Arnold No.2. What does that leave ??? How many other British composers wrote Clarinet Concertos ???

Answer off the top of my head, very few:

Malcolm Arnold No.1 (already on cd, of course), ditto the Arnold Cooke No.1, the Alun Hoddinott No.2, the William Mathias, the John McCabe, the Alan Rawsthorne.

So that leaves-unrecorded to date- Clarinet Concertos by: Arnold Cooke No.2, Ruth Gipps, Alun Hoddinott No.1, Iain Hamilton and Gordon Jacob.

Oh, how nice it would be to get the Cooke Second and the Hamilton ;D ;D    But-knowing Chandos-I think we shall get the recorded ones all over again ::)

(Apologies to those I have missed out altogether. This is from memory ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 04:45:59 am »

If they really want to economise, they could include the Alice Mary Smith Andante for Clarinet and orchestra on a disc, which they have already recorded with her symphonies. I agree that there are very few British clarinet concertos out there to my knowledge.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 06:18:55 pm »

I agree that there are very few British clarinet concertos out there to my knowledge.

Two more that should be mentioned are those by John Veale and Alan Paul, - both previously recorded, but of sufficient high quality in each case to make another outing easily justified.

Report Spam   Logged
phoenixmusic
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 12:04:15 pm »

There is also a Clarinet Concerto by Richard Walthew (1872 - 1951) which he wrote in 1902. Unfortunately it was never orchestrated but the version with piano accompaniment has been published and a MIDI version of the work can be found here - http://www.classicalarchives.com/midi/composer/3536.html

If someone were to orchestrate it I think it would certainly be worth recording.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: