The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:39:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lyrita?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lyrita?  (Read 5150 times)
guest128
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2018, 10:25:12 pm »

Commercial enterprises (even small ones) just cannot be expected to carry on personal communications with their customer base IMO, nor do I believe there's likely any intentional secrecy or even laxness in Lyrita not making known (in an ongoing fashion) when previously publicized projects and prospective reissues will finally come to fruition in publicly available recordings.  The reality is that they themselves may not even know, - what with juggling financing constraints, legal tangles, and possibly a host of other technical and administrative details germane to the end product in view.  Is this incompetence and/or insensitivity on their part, or rather just the nature of the business they traffic in?

Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2018, 11:40:22 am »

Probably very true, Greg, but I think a standard email response to the effect perhaps that they regret that they cannot undertake to respond to enquiries about repertoire and that news of forthcoming releases will appear on their website as soon as information is available, would be courteous.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2018, 02:24:47 pm »

I take both points made by Greg and by Gareth. (My extremes of enthusiasm and of frustration/disappointment can lead to occasional over-reaction :)

Two quick points and I shall leave it there:

(a) It does seem at least "odd" that the Grace Williams Society should get absolutely no response to an enquiry regarding the "Missa Cambrensis". A failure to respond to one individual correspondent is one thing but failing to respond in any way at all to the society is "peculiar".

(b) I have my own personal website. I receive requests for information/assistance from people from all over the world. This sometimes involves a lot of work by me. Sometimes, in contrast, I cannot assist in any way. But I always try to at least respond to the person who contacted me. That is only common courtesy. On the rare occasions when I have forgotten to do this I have subsequently felt very guilty and ashamed.
It may be that Lyrita's postbag is so enormous that the company has neither the staff nor the time to deal with the correspondence but, as Gareth, says a standard reply to emails would be at least good manners.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2018, 06:56:42 pm »

This may be the wrong place ;D..........,.but is everyone aware of Nimbus' Black Friday Sale (50% of their entire catalogue). You just put the code supplied in the email (if you subscribe to their "mail shots") at the checkout! The offer is Valid until 23:59 tonight. I just bought the 3cd box set of Iris Loveridge playing Bax's piano music & the 3cd set of Alan Rowland's playing the complete piano music of John Ireland for a total of £19.99,for both sets (Normally £39.99). As a fan of these composers piano compositions I've always fancied acquiring these pioneering sets,but the outlay was a bit much........so I grabbed my chance!! ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
PJ
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2018, 06:23:42 am »

New release from the Itter collection on Lyrita, using the Cameo Classics label:

CC9108

SIR MALCOLM SARGENT CONDUCTS

HECTOR BERLIOZ
The Damnation Of Faust, Op. 24

Joan Hammond, mezzo-soprano
Marguerite, a young woman
Richard Lewis, tenor
Faust, an aging scholar
Marian Nowakowski, bass
Mephistopheles, the Devil disguised as a gentleman
Hervey Alan, bass-baritone
Brander, a student
BBC Choral Society
BBC Symphony Orchestra BBC Broadcast live from the Royal Festival Hall 25 February 1953

ANTONIN DVORĮK
Te Deum Op. 103

Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, soprano
Bruce Boyce, baritone
BBC Choral Society • BBC Symphony Orchestra

Part of the Dvorįk Commemoration Concert, BBC Broadcast live from the Royal Festival Hall 26 May 1954

https://www.mdt.co.uk/berlioz-the-damnation-of-faust-sir-malcolm-sargent-cameo-2cds-1.html

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2018, 01:53:18 pm »

Forgive my astonishment and lack of enthusiasm.I
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2018, 03:26:20 pm »

Surely no performance of Dvorak's marvellous TE DEUM could engender 'lack of enthusiasm'?   ::)  It leaves even confirmed atheists like myself quite enthused :) Although I don't know Sargeant's recording.  Keeps the tympanists busy!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2018, 05:57:11 pm »

Surely no performance of Dvorak's marvellous TE DEUM could engender 'lack of enthusiasm'?   ::)  It leaves even confirmed atheists like myself quite enthused :) Although I don't know Sargeant's recording.  Keeps the tympanists busy!

I must admit to not having listened to the Dvorak Te Deum in years. In fact I could not even remember which cd  in my collection contains the piece....but I have now found it in a performance conducted by Robert Shaw. Will listen to it later this evening.

My lack of enthusiasm is not a reflection on the work but on Lyrita (of all companies) issuing a recording from 1954 conducted by Sargent. Of course it may be a great performance and, in that case, will give pleasure to many! So...ignore my sour response!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2018, 08:22:04 pm »

....and such a delightful, beautiful and upliftingly festive work it is!! I spend so long in the byways of the 20th century that I tend to forget the 19th century genius of the real greats: Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak. In fact it occurs to me to wonder whether Dvorak was the last "happy composer" before all the angst of the 20th century took over??
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2018, 12:12:10 am »

....and such a delightful, beautiful and upliftingly festive work it is!! I spend so long in the byways of the 20th century that I tend to forget the 19th century genius of the real greats: Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak. In fact it occurs to me to wonder whether Dvorak was the last "happy composer" before all the angst of the 20th century took over??

I once (long ago) read a quote which I now cannot recall exactly (nor can I recall the source) but went something to the effect that while so many 19th century composers were struggling with their romantic composerly angst Dvorak never lost sight of the value of a good jug of ale and a well cooked roast of beef.  That quote has always struck me as a pretty good guide to the emotional world of much of Dvorak's music.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2018, 01:26:08 am »

Dvorak is one of these composers I just can't get. I don't like all the fake drama in his work.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2018, 02:06:57 am »

I once (long ago) read a quote which I now cannot recall exactly (nor can I recall the source) but went something to the effect that while so many 19th century composers were struggling with their romantic composerly angst Dvorak never lost sight of the value of a good jug of ale and a well cooked roast of beef.  That quote has always struck me as a pretty good guide to the emotional world of much of Dvorak's music.

Brian

I thoroughly agree :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2018, 02:08:43 am »

Dvorak is one of these composers I just can't get. I don't like all the fake drama in his work.

Well for me it is most Mozart, middle and late Rachmaninov and Delius :( We probably all have our blind spots.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2018, 03:25:50 pm »

I take it that no one has heard any further news concerning Lyrita?

My email to Paul Conway has gone unanswered-which is unusual (Paul always replied to my messages in the past).
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2018, 11:14:33 pm »

Well, well....if you make a big enough nuisance of yourself you can finally succeed ;D

I posted on the Musicweb Noticeboard lamenting the "silence" from Lyrita. My post was copied to the company and they responded:

We very much appreciate being copied in on this post and for the opportunity to respond.

Mr Mackie suggest a blanket of silence from Lyrita on the promise of future releases. Could I please be allowed to respond that Lyrita released a total of twenty discs this year combining new studio recordings, off air transfers and reissuing core components from the Cameo catalogue. This is far from silent.

Lyrita Recorded Edition
SRCD365 Cyril Scott Songs
SRCD366 Michael Hurd Choral Music
SRCD367 John Joubert Symphony and Piano Concerto
SRCD2369 Thea Musgrave - Mary Queen of Scots (2 CD set)
SRCD371 Eugene Goossens - The Apocalypse
SRCD372 Thea Musgrave - Phoenix Rising, Loch Ness, Poets in Love
SRCD378 Miriam Hyde Songs

Itter Broacast Collection
REAM1138 Elizabeth Machonchy - Heloise and Abelard
REAM2139 British Orchestral Premieres (4 CD set)

Cameo Classics
CC9101 Jadassohn (2 CD set)
CC9103 Brull (2 CD set)
CC9105 Zhukov Concertos
CC9106 Douglas Young - Hunting of the Snark
CC9107 Rare Stokowski

We have a close and two sided relationship with the BBC in Cardiff and have been in high level conversations with them about the broadcast of Grace Williams Missa Cambrensis for more than two years. Sadly the performance was deemed by the BBC and Lyrita to be un-releasable.

Daniel Jones Symphonies 3 & 5 are scheduled for release in June 2019 with Symphonies 12, 13 and Cantata currently scheduled for November 2019. We will also embark on a project to record previously unheard and unpublished Piano Music by Daniel Jones in the new year and hope that the first of these might appear in the second half of the year.

Stanford's Via Victrix Mass was recently broadcast by the BBC. Lyrita invested in additional patch sessions and recorded additional material. The conductor of this project, Adrian Pardington, will meet with Lyrita before the Christmas break, fully listen to all material and discuss editing and releasing this remarkable work in the summer of 2019. Until this project has received BBC approval we can not publicise it.

I am grateful that Paul Conway and my Nimbus colleagues chose not to respond to enquiries as they may have encouraged collectors to expect releases that are not yet ready, that for many reasons have been placed on a back burner or that have simply been deemed unsuccessful. As Trustees we have a responsibility to uphold the production highest qualities established by Richard Itter whilst expanding our horizons and knowledge of British Classical Composers.

Mr Mackie please do not despair. At this time eighteen new discs are planned from Lyrita across 2019, with a further ten discs on Cameo and the launch of more than twenty five 92khz / 24bit high definition titles appearing on the emerging download and streaming platforms. My worry is not that we are snuggled under a blanket of silence but that we might produce more than our core customers can consume.

Sincerely

Antony

Antony Smith
Trustee
Lyrita Recorded Edition Trust

c/o Wyastone Estate Limited, Wyastone Leys, Monmouth, NP25 3SR, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 1600 890 007
Email: antony@wyastone.co.uk

So now we know that we are NOT getting the Grace Williams "Missa Cambrensis" but that we ARE getting the remaining Daniel Jones symphonies!

It hardly needs to be said how grateful I am (and I am sure other members of this forum who love British Music and support Lyrita's efforts on behalf of British composers) for this lengthy and informative response from Antony Smith.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: