The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:41:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lyrita?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lyrita?  (Read 5164 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2018, 10:55:35 am »

Thea Musgrave. I can recall a time when her music (including operas) seemed to make quite regular appearances in the Radio 3 schedules. What is the opinion of members here on her compositions?

I would have thought releasing the remaining Daniel Jones' symphonies would be a priority?!! ??? :( I'm just being impatient though,aren't I? Living in Wales,in these post devolution times,I do find it very sad that such a fine cycle of symphonies has been neglected in such way. If only orchestral music by Welsh composers had the appeal of Rugby?!! ::) ;D  Although,looking at recordings of American composers over the last few decades,it seems we're pretty lucky in the UK,by comparison. Only recently,I was thinking how much Howard Hanson had done in respect to recording music by American composers. He seems to have been on a one man mission in some ways. Robert Whitney and the Louisville Orchestra series also spring to mind. If only there was as much missionary zeal over there today. Gerard Schwarz seems to have done quite a bit in more recent times,but seems to have been scuppered by poor sales?!!
Meanwhile,Ireland seems to have been funding some recordings of their composers on the RTE Lyric FM label.

I also noticed this. I quite like some of Mathias' music;and I have enjoyed his Piano concertos. I like the way he assimilates some popular influences. We need some recordings of "the other" Welsh composers though!!!

http://www.tycerdd.org/recording-studio/label/william-mathias-new-release
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2018, 01:10:13 pm »

I'm being impatient,I know.......but I really am hoping they are going to release some more Daniel Jones symphonies?!! If not,I wonder why? Poor sales?!! :( :( :(
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 11:23:18 pm »

I'm being impatient,I know.......but I really am hoping they are going to release some more Daniel Jones symphonies?!! If not,I wonder why? Poor sales?!! :( :( :(

Send Lyrita an email to enquire.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2018, 12:21:39 pm »

A very good idea! :-[ ;D I have just done exactly,that! I'm not terribly brilliant at this sort of thing,but here is a copy of the email I just sent (via the Lyrita web page):

"Hello
Living in Wales,and being an admirer of the music of Daniel Jones,I was thrilled to hear that you were planning to release the remaining,unrecorded,symphonies on cd. Daniel Jones,as you know,was one of Wales' pioneering composers,and his cycle of symphonies,is,arguably,the finest by a Welsh composer.(Although,I know,one might make a similar claim for those of Alun Hoddinott?!).Post devolution,it does seem a great pity that so many of his symphonies are still unavailable in the form of commercially available recordings. It is also a shame that Daniel Jones still seems to be known,even here in Wales,primarily for his association,and friendship with Dylan Thomas,rather than the music,he actually composed. Surely,now is the time to rectify this? I know there has been renewed interest in another pioneering Welsh composer,Morfydd Owen,recently;and all the reviews I have seen,of the Lyrita cds of Daniel Jones,that have been released,have been very positive. I also know that his music has quite a few admirers,including myself! To cut to the chase! Are any more Daniel Jones symphonies going to be released on cd? I look forward to your response and thank you for your,commendable,and ongoing,commitment to British music.

Best Wishes

Dafydd Jones"

Let's hope I didn't drone on too long,and got some of my facts rite.........I mean,right?!! ;D Daniel Jones is actually known for some of his music,by those unfamiliar with his concert music. I am,of course,referring to the incidental music he composed for the celebrated radio production of,Under Milk Wood. I didn't want make the email too long (zzzzzzzzzz! ;D) however;so I left that out!!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2018, 02:48:56 pm »

Excellent email! Let us hope you get a response! If so then you will doubtless pass it on. If not then I shall email Paul Conway (again) although he has always been very nervous about saying anything about the company's future plans!
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2018, 07:43:55 am »

This new release is slated for January, so I guess any more Daniel Jones discs are further off into 2019......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Songs-Miriam-Charlotte-Rothschild-soprano/dp/B07K14LYZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542181303&sr=8-1&keywords=lyrita+cds
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 12:09:10 am »

This new release is slated for January, so I guess any more Daniel Jones discs are further off into 2019......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Songs-Miriam-Charlotte-Rothschild-soprano/dp/B07K14LYZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542181303&sr=8-1&keywords=lyrita+cds
Great ,She and Jean Coulthard need to be much more known
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2018, 03:56:17 pm »

Cilgwyn, have you had any response from Lyrita?

Could I also point out that we were promised the Grace Williams Missa Cambrensis from Lyrita shortly after its performance in Cardiff in 2016. The Grace Williams website says that the release was scheduled for late 2017 or early 2018. We are shortly going to be into 2019.

I am beginning to wonder if Lyrita's arrangement with the BBC has run into legal difficulties.

Lyrita could end this online speculation by simply responding to enquiries from its devoted "fanbase". But that seems to be a concept outside these companies' comprehension!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2018, 12:45:44 pm »

My apologies for not replying sooner! Alas! No response from Lyrita! :( I suppose I could get around to trying an actual 'letter',of the posted kind. They may feel obliged to answer,if I've spent money on a stamp? Especially,if I enclose an sae?!! ;D Or I could just try another email? I remember writing to Hyperion and Chandos (by post) years ago,and I always received a very polite,courteous reply. One of them telling me that my letter had been shown to Brian Couzens,the actual boss! I don't know whether he really read it;but I was still young,and I felt very pleased with the response! The BBC,likewise,always replied. I do remember writing an enthusiastic letter to Nimbus once,about Daniel Jones,and I got no reply. I understand you have received replies from Lyrita,but they don't actually tell you much!! :( Why the secrecy,though?!! Is a rival recording label really going to rush out with a Daniel Jones recording,before they do? Do they check the office for bugging devices?!! ;D And yes,what happened to the Missa Cambrensis?!

I suppose,one other,possible,line of hope for a cd of Daniel Jones is Tŷ Cerdd?

https://www.tycerdd.org/
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2018, 05:45:17 pm »

I have discouraging news!

The Grace Williams Society has no idea when (or even if) the Missa Cambrensis will be released. This is because Lyrita has not replied to messages from the Society itself- so you are not alone.

My guess is that there are indeed serious difficulties-presumably legal issues involving copyright-in the relationship between Lyrita and the BBC. That would also explain the non-appearance of the Daniel Jones promised and also Lyrita's reluctance to speak about it.

I can certainly contact Paul Conway but I fear that he would not break any confidences he has.

Our hopes may be dashed :'(
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2018, 09:05:29 pm »

Unfortunately, I suspect the problem may lie with Nimbus who have a poor reputation for courtesy.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2018, 02:46:03 pm »

That's interesting. I used to send off allot of enthusiastic letters about music,when I was younger,to various record labels,the BBC and composers. Nimbus were the only one who didn't reply! Of course,that was only one letter!! ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2018, 03:54:58 pm »

Unfortunately, I suspect the problem may lie with Nimbus who have a poor reputation for courtesy.

Although I think that the problem with Lyrita/Nimbus goes deeper than that (a suspicion shared by the Grace Williams Society) the issue of non-response to emails or letters has been mentioned before.

These small labels need every ounce of support they can get to survive. On this site-as members will be only too aware-we try to protect their cds from free download :). Those of us who love British music buy the cds produced by Lyrita and Dutton (not to mention other such labels). Those interested in the more obscure or neglected corners of the repertoire buy the products of labels like CPO. Without our support these companies would go under.

And yet they either cannot be bothered to respond to messages from their customers or (as in a recent case involving Dutton) reply with extraordinary rudeness. Are the people who run these companies completely unaware of the need to keep their very small customer-base at the very least properly informed?
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2018, 08:32:00 pm »

One might conclude Colin will refuse purchase of future desirable Lyrita issues as punishment for their bad form in not responding (or not responding appropriately) to customer inquiries.

Right.

Lyrita's (and other labels) apparent indifference (if that's what it is) to keeping their customer base well-informed about plans and release schedules may be annoying, but it's not going to materially impact their business (let alone contribute to any collapse).
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2018, 09:50:19 pm »

Of course I shall not "refuse to purchase future desirable Lyrita issues"-although I have bought only one of their new cds in the last six months and I feel under no particular obligation to buy their releases (as to an extent I previously did).

It is however, at the very least, "bad form" not to respond to enquiries. The company does not respond either "appropriately" or "inappropriately"; it does not respond at all! And this failure extends to a failure to respond to a society set up to support the music of a composer whose major choral composition was promised two years ago. That is not "apparent indifference", it is real indifference. And that is more than just "annoying". It is discourtesy.

And, you are correct in saying that this will not materially impact their business, at least in terms of sales. I shall therefore withdraw my last two (hyperbolic) sentences. Goodwill can however be damaged in other ways.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: