The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:14:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lyrita?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lyrita?  (Read 5154 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 04:33:05 pm »

I remember writing to Chandos and Hyperion,back in the days when people still used the post to do such things (not so many years ago) and I always got a reply. None of the projects,they mentioned,seemed to ever see the light of day! I always felt they were just being polite;and didn't want to make me feel too disappointed! I remember being informed that they had "shown my letter to Brian Couzens". Maybe they didn't. But it was a nice thought!! :( ;D The BBC used to reply to all my letters,too! Maybe,times have changed? You did say you wrote,as opposed to sending an email. The fact that you've spent money on a stamp,paper and envelope (and perhaps some nice paper?) could help? Make them feel a little more guilty about not replying?!By the way,I've sent of a cheque for a cd four times,in the last few months.I'm even starting to think I quite like doing it. I remember posting one in a mini blizzard,a few weeks ago. About midnight. A nice,quiet time to post before bed!! I sent my last one on Sunday night! I even write out a letter detailing my order! I keep thinking how strange it feels. Yet,I used to do it all the time (and P.O's,a long time ago!) The place I get the cd's from even sends out paper lists!!!!
In case you're wondering why I was doing this? My pc konked out! This is what comes of clever posts about suddenly disappearing!! :-[ ;D I did!!!!! ::) ;D

It really is quite extraordinary that none of those labels replied,Dundonnell! I understand that they're very busy,but it seems standards are slipping!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 06:00:08 pm »

When I said 'wrote' I actually did mean email. Stamps are far too expensive these days

It may be that these companies are short-staffed.It may indeed be that they are virtually one-man bands. It may be that every day they get sackfuls of requests from unknown obsessed nutters  But of the three people I named in my last post I have actually met two and the third contacted me seeking my advice on a particular matter.

So...though I may be an "obsessed nutter" I am not "unknown"

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 06:16:05 pm »

I just tried not to think about the  cost of the stamp! But minus an internet connection I just couldn't fight the urge to purchase a cd. I had to get one,somehow. There are no cd shops to speak of here. Well,not selling the kind of stuff I like! Luckily,I haven't sent any letters to recording labels recently. I needed the stamps for the cheques!!! ::) ;D

One of the cheques was for the cd of Fricker's The Vision of Judgement. After listening to the Lyrita set of the symphonies I couldn't resist it. I thought I might not enjoy it,though. I had an idea it might be a bit forbidding! On the contrary! I just had to listen to it again,all the way through. I was bowled over by just how approachable it was.....in a good way! Quite thrilling in places;and even quite;dare I say it,lyrical. It seemed like Fricker in a more "public",outgoing mode,than in the symphonies.. I found it a bit of a surprise after listening to them. I'd love to hear it in state of the art sound. I don't see why a record label like Chandos would be put off by it's sound world. A sonic spectacular in lush Chandos sound?!! Nothing to be afraid of,there,imho. But this is what we need from a label like Lyrita. Eventually,other labels may take heed;and there do seem to be a few,hopeful signs,that Chandos are getting a little more adventurous........maybe?!!

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 11:59:42 pm »

Ironically (or perhaps not) the "public qualities" of "The Vision of Judgment" led Hugh Wood to criticise the consequential "loss of individuality".
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 01:51:45 pm »

Interesting! I'll have to listen again,really;but I can understand what Hugh Wood meant;and I suppose (maybe?) he's right? At the same time I found it a very impressive piece of music. I think that the more "populist" attributes of the work could actually make it more appealing to those who might not,normally,respond positively towards Fricker's usually more introspective,astringent demeanour. It's not his most individual work;and it's not the most original choral work I've heard by a British composer. But then again, I had to put it on again,as soon as I'd finished listening. And not merely because,I was trying to find some good in it!! So far,I think the money on that cd was money well spent! Another reason why Lyrita need to continue with such releases. By the way. In relation to the title of this thread. Having been offline for a few months,and not knowing what's going on with respect to recordings (and so on) is there any real evidence that Lyrita may be geeting "cold feet" about these releases of broadcast material? Are poor sales behind this? It is usually money! Love it,or despise it,we all need it,to some degree! It would be awful if the Daniel Jones releases were cancelled (for example). By my calculations,only two cd's to go,and one of the most compelling and absorbing cycles of symphonies by a British (and Welsh) composer is finally available on cd!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 06:40:10 pm »

Well, the short answer to your question is that I don't know☹

We do know, courtesy of Amazon pre-releases schedule, that Lyrita will be issuing a disc of songs by Michael Hurd in April, a box set of the orchestral works previously issued by Cameo Classics and a disc of songs by Cyril Scott in May. I am not interested in songs and I already own the Cameo cds.

Since I have not had a response from Lyrita I have no fresh info' regarding the Daniel Jones. I could write to Paul Conway- who writes the cd notes - but Paul is sworn to secrecy!

The widespread reluctance of record companies to publicise future releases completely mystifies me. Book publishers have no such inhibitions. Why record companies should be so secretive is baffling. It is not as though any other company is sitting on recordings of Daniel Jones symphonies waiting to spring them on the public to preempt Lyrita
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 09:34:28 pm »

I've never understood why it takes so long for a recording to be issued once it is recorded. Surely the record company has to pay the orchestra up front, a huge outgoing. Don't they want to try to recoup some of this cost as soon as possible?
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 09:35:41 pm »

The previous is just a general observation about record companies, it doesn't apply to Lyrita's Itter series which were recorded long ago at the BBC's expense.  :D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 10:39:52 pm »

The financing of recordings is another mystery! In some cases, apparently, recordings are written into the contracts of orchestral players; so they may be paid nothing or very little for a recording session. If the orchestra is recorded in its own studio or hall there will be no additional cost. The conductor's fee will depend on how much the agent had negotiated. As for payment being made I did once hear that certain companies could prove rather tardy in coughing up the cash but I can say no more on that subject
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 08:04:07 am »

I just tried not to think about the  cost of the stamp! But minus an internet connection I just couldn't fight the urge to purchase a cd. I had to get one,somehow. There are no cd shops to speak of here. Well,not selling the kind of stuff I like! Luckily,I haven't sent any letters to recording labels recently. I needed the stamps for the cheques!!! ::) ;D

One of the cheques was for the cd of Fricker's The Vision of Judgement. After listening to the Lyrita set of the symphonies I couldn't resist it. I thought I might not enjoy it,though. I had an idea it might be a bit forbidding! On the contrary! I just had to listen to it again,all the way through. I was bowled over by just how approachable it was.....in a good way! Quite thrilling in places;and even quite;dare I say it,lyrical. It seemed like Fricker in a more "public",outgoing mode,than in the symphonies.. I found it a bit of a surprise after listening to them. I'd love to hear it in state of the art sound. I don't see why a record label like Chandos would be put off by it's sound world. A sonic spectacular in lush Chandos sound?!! Nothing to be afraid of,there,imho. But this is what we need from a label like Lyrita. Eventually,other labels may take heed;and there do seem to be a few,hopeful signs,that Chandos are getting a little more adventurous........maybe?!!

The Vision of Judgment is terrific - I found it to be a gripping and moving work despite it being more 'modernist' than much of the music I listen to. Many thanks for this recommendation.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 05:44:36 pm »

I'm glad you enjoyed it,vandermolen!! :) :) :)
By the way,I bought that Lyrita cd of George Lloyd's Symphonies 6 & 7,this afternoon,via their website. It was about the only site that my cunning software hadn't blocked off. So,into the basket it went!! ::) ;D I also felt I should show my support by buying a recent release off their site;what with all this current,doom and gloom,about the future of Lyrita releases!
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 09:11:58 pm »

I'm glad you enjoyed it,vandermolen!! :) :) :)
By the way,I bought that Lyrita cd of George Lloyd's Symphonies 6 & 7,this afternoon,via their website. It was about the only site that my cunning software hadn't blocked off. So,into the basket it went!! ::) ;D I also felt I should show my support by buying a recent release off their site;what with all this current,doom and gloom,about the future of Lyrita releases!
I'm listening to it (the Fricker) again now - for the third time since it arrived yesterday!  :)  I love that Lloyd CD too and prefer the performance of Symphony 7 to the one on Albany. As for online CD shopping baskets it made me laugh when I read a review of the EMI CD of Walton's fine score for the film Henry V headed 'Once more unto the Amazon shopping basket...'
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 09:45:19 pm »

I suppose that the reference to "current doom and gloom" in relation to future Lyrita releases is directed at me ;D

The advantage of pessimism is that being proved wrong is actually pleasurable ;D

I am sorry that no-one at Lyrita had sought fit to reply to my enquiry about the future. We were promised the remaining Daniel Jones symphonies in 2018 so let's still hope that promise is kept!
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 09:49:41 pm »

I suppose that the reference to "current doom and gloom" in relation to future Lyrita releases is directed at me

The advantage of pessimism is that being proved wrong is actually pleasurable

I am sorry that no-one at Lyrita had sought fit to reply to my enquiry about the future. We were promised the remaining Daniel Jones symphonies in 2018 so let's still hope that promise is kept!

I agree about the Daniel Jones symphonies (and so will cigwyn I suspect  ;)) I enjoyed the release with Symphony 1 on - a fine discovery. I have got to appreciate No.4 as well.
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2018, 08:00:18 am »

Forthcoming in July. This was previously available on CD, if a little recherché.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: