The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:47:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lyrita?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lyrita?  (Read 5149 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: February 15, 2018, 04:36:36 am »

Lyrita issued a new disc from the Itter Broadcast Archive every month last year.

There was nothing in December, the Maconchy "Heloise and Abelard" in Januiary, nothing this month, nothing advertised for next month.

Worried!!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 12:43:55 pm »

No loss for me, just shabby restored old radio performances . PAH !
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 02:00:43 pm »

Not true. The Lyrita reissues are far from "shabby". They are a wonderful means by which much fine British music is being rescued from undeserved oblivion. Discerning music critics and lovers of British music are delighted and have praised what Lyrita are doing. Your contrary views are therefore irrelevant in the circumstances.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 08:49:29 pm »

I immensely enjoyed the recent symphonies by Fricker; Wordsworth 1 & 5; Jones 1 & 10 and 2 & 11 etc. and really can't imagine a reason why I should duplicate an Alfven series already having the BIS ones on my shelf.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 12:03:19 am »

I don't know why anyone bothers to reply to Expi's grumpy comments. I'm sure he only does it to annoy!!!
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 08:19:53 am »

There is life!! But not until April....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hurd-Choral-Music-Complete-Songs/dp/B079NBWT4D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518769117&sr=8-1&keywords=lyrita
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 08:13:46 pm »

Hmm. A long time to wait and not a cd which interests me, I am afraid. I was hoping for another instalment in the Daniel Jones series or some Iain Hamilton or Alun Hoddinott symphonies or the Grace Williams Missa.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 09:38:24 pm »

I agree. A bit disappointing.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 09:53:01 pm »

Hmm. A long time to wait and not a cd which interests me, I am afraid. I was hoping for another instalment in the Daniel Jones series or some Iain Hamilton or Alun Hoddinott symphonies or the Grace Williams Missa.

My thoughts exactly, Colin!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 02:40:36 pm »

I see that Lyrita are reissuing as a four disc set the rare British music previously issued by Cameo Classics

https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Orchestral-Premieres-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B07B5Y8S74/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1520519458&sr=

Whilst this is to be welcomed-more especially I imagine by those who did not previously purchase the cds individually when they were originally released-it is by no means particularly encouraging to those of us continuing to wait in feverish expectation of more previously unrecorded treasures from the Itter Broadcast Archive. I shall seek further reassurance that this project is not moribund.

I know that the Holbrooke pieces included in the Cameo/Lyrita cds did not entirely meet with Gareth Vaughan's wholehearted endorsement but I am sure that I can leave it to him to comment further if he wishes ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 08:15:24 pm »

This one is also on its way.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Songs-Cyril-Charlotte-Rothschild-soprano/dp/B07B5Y8S73/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1520539990&sr=1-2&keywords=lyrita
Interesting, but I agree with Colin, I am becoming anxious for the rest of the Daniel Jones symphonies, to say nothing of other gems that must be waiting to be transferred.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 06:34:53 pm »

I know that the Holbrooke pieces included in the Cameo/Lyrita cds did not entirely meet with Gareth Vaughan's wholehearted endorsement but I am sure that I can leave it to him to comment further if he wishes

It's only the Variations on "The Girl I Left Behind Me" with which I was less than satisfied. Neither conductor nor orchestra understood the humour - as a result it is rather a "lumpen" performance and some of the solos are not pointed enough. The Malta orchestra, by contrast, played the Pantomime Suite rather well. Marius Stravinsky and the Karelians are fine in the Blower Symphony and Dorothy Howell's "Lamia". Valentina Seferinova is excellent in the Howell's piano concerto and all the Malta soloists are very good indeed.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 08:55:37 pm »

Good to hear that, Gareth, since I did buy the original Cameo discs
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 02:49:06 pm »

I wrote to Antony Smith of Lyrita asking for reassurance about their future plans but have received no response of any kind.

Similarly I wrote to Martin Anderson at Toccata enquiring about the forthcoming William Wordsworth disc but received no acknowledgement let alone a response.

At least Lewis Foreman replied on behalf of Dutton. I despair of writing to CPO

I cannot but think that record labels which cannot even acknowledge correspondence from their loyal customers are sadly deficient in good customer relations
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 04:04:23 pm »

I cannot but think that record labels which cannot even acknowledge correspondence from their loyal customers are sadly deficient in good customer relations

Quite so, sadly. And one would think that they need all the customers they can get these days.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: