The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:38:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lyrita?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lyrita?  (Read 5250 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 01:51:45 pm »

Interesting! I'll have to listen again,really;but I can understand what Hugh Wood meant;and I suppose (maybe?) he's right? At the same time I found it a very impressive piece of music. I think that the more "populist" attributes of the work could actually make it more appealing to those who might not,normally,respond positively towards Fricker's usually more introspective,astringent demeanour. It's not his most individual work;and it's not the most original choral work I've heard by a British composer. But then again, I had to put it on again,as soon as I'd finished listening. And not merely because,I was trying to find some good in it!! So far,I think the money on that cd was money well spent! Another reason why Lyrita need to continue with such releases. By the way. In relation to the title of this thread. Having been offline for a few months,and not knowing what's going on with respect to recordings (and so on) is there any real evidence that Lyrita may be geeting "cold feet" about these releases of broadcast material? Are poor sales behind this? It is usually money! Love it,or despise it,we all need it,to some degree! It would be awful if the Daniel Jones releases were cancelled (for example). By my calculations,only two cd's to go,and one of the most compelling and absorbing cycles of symphonies by a British (and Welsh) composer is finally available on cd!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: