The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:29:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Conservative West-Germans Composers 1945-1989

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conservative West-Germans Composers 1945-1989  (Read 2849 times)
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2018, 01:51:03 am »

Suggestions welcome!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 01:59:15 am »

Of those born after 1900:

Johann Cilensek (1913-98)  (actually East German but does it matter?)
Kurt Hessenberg (1908-94)
Karl Holler (1907-87)
Ernst Pepping (1901-81) (also East German)
Reinhard Schwarz-Schilling (1904-85)

....there are five to be going on with :)
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 02:37:22 am »

(actually East German but does it matter?)

Given the funding, support, censorship and training provided in the GDR for music, it mattered very much to him, I would say.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 02:59:16 am »

(actually East German but does it matter?)

Given the funding, support, censorship and training provided in the GDR for music, it mattered very much to him, I would say.
Dear Mr McGowan
I agree Bundesrepublik was opposed both III Reich than DDR (at least officially).
Best and TIA
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:58:36 am »

Certainly agreed. Toby!  And thanks for your input. 

Cilensek lived until 1998 - but until 1989, his life in the GDR was under a very different atmosphere and infrastructure to that in the Bundesrepublik. Even getting a passport - let alone going anywhere with it - was considered a privilege, rather than an automatic right.  That situation cannot be ignored when considering the music which composers in E Germany produced.

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 02:18:31 pm »

I think that you may have misunderstood my comment.

Of course being domiciled in East Germany made a huge difference to Cilensek's life and to his music. I simply thought that Toby was looking for some German composers who wrote in a more conservative idiom in order to explore their music and was looking for suggestions  as to who to listen to and explore. If he is only interested in West Germans per se then the field should be appropriately narrowed.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 09:54:18 pm »

I simply thought that Toby was looking for some German composers who wrote in a more conservative idiom in order to explore their music

Do you think that "some German composers who wrote in a more conservative idiom" might have done so because the political structures who ruled their environment encouraged and required them to do so?
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 11:58:52 pm »

I think that you may have misunderstood my comment.

Of course being domiciled in East Germany made a huge difference to Cilensek's life and to his music. I simply thought that Toby was looking for some German composers who wrote in a more conservative idiom in order to explore their music and was looking for suggestions  as to who to listen to and explore. If he is only interested in West Germans per se then the field should be appropriately narrowed.

Dear Dundonnell
Musical life in the East Germany was deeply different than Bonn.BRD was reputed La Mecca of Avantgarde.At Pankow until 1956 there wasn't space for it.Please keep us this topic on aestethic and music Language not on politic.
I will remember that we have other thread about DDR.
TIA
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 12:15:09 am »

I have no idea why this comment is addressed to me ??? I had not introduced "politics" into the discussion. I listed some "conservative" German composers- which I thought was what was being asked for!

Neil then raised a question about the impact of a political regime on its composers' musical idiom. Not I!!

I wrote a (I hope) measured response to Neil's post but have not posted it since it would take us somewhere you apparently do not wish us to go.

Very well. I bow out of this thread 
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 12:18:10 am »

I have no idea why this comment is addressed to me ??? I had not introduced "politics" into the discussion. I listed some "conservative" German composers- which I thought was what was being asked for!

Neil then raised a question about the impact of a political regime on its composers' musical idiom. Not I!!

I wrote a (I hope) measured response to Neil's post but have not posted it since it would take us somewhere you apparently do not wish us to go.

Very well. I bow out of this thtead
Dear Dundonnell
I don't want criticize your post,but only specify that i was asking  of BRD.
Best
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 05:16:34 am »

I understand

I leave you then with Holler and Schwarz-Schilling
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 05:19:42 pm »

https://peter-kreuder.de/hp/peter-kreuder-cds.html
Report Spam   Logged
Amphissa
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 11:23:22 pm »

Thomas Schmidt-Kowalski (1949-2013) -- One critic wrote: "manages to bypass 20th-century modernism by doing a 'Sturm und Drang' of his own in 21st-century terms, making himself a 'must' for today's German concert, disc, and radio audiences." I'm not sure he's a "must," but that might be overly effusive.

Four symphonies, one concerto for violin and one for cello, assorted orchestral and chamber works. Completely tonal, romantic style. Easy on the ears, but IMO not magical.

Here is the Cello Concerto

Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 04:38:40 am »

I simply thought that Toby was looking for some German composers who wrote in a more conservative idiom in order to explore their music

Do you think that "some German composers who wrote in a more conservative idiom" might have done so because the political structures who ruled their environment encouraged and required them to do so?

Here we go again..
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 08:38:19 pm »

These Sorbian composers might marginally be included since the Slav nation of Sorbia has been absorbed by several countries throughout its history, one of the latest (until after WWII) Germany. I am not sure where they are working now, I believe what was Sorbia is now largely in Poland, however the works of these composers that I have heard have been excellent.
Jan Bulank (b. 1931), Detlef Kobjela(b. 1944), Jurij Mětšk (b. 1954), Jan Paul Nagel (1934–1997), or Jan Rawp (b.1928)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: