The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:04:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

"Recent" Toccata Releases

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Recent" Toccata Releases  (Read 6476 times)
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2018, 09:42:47 pm »

I know of one company who signed up with a distributor who then, against the express wishes of the recording company, made their recordings available to Spotify, from which the returns are microscopic. That is why I asked.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2018, 11:34:31 pm »

Interesting...  Would never have guessed that might occur.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2018, 12:34:59 am »

I know of one company who signed up with a distributor who then, against the express wishes of the recording company, made their recordings available to Spotify, from which the returns are microscopic. That is why I asked.

Well, it's much more complicated than that.  Who owns the rights to the distribution?  The distribution company.  If you make a recording and work with a distribution company, you have very little control on how they distribute.  That is just an unrealistic expectation.  Most of the time, Naxos recordings are self funded and they get a cut in exchange for their presence and brand - their name recognition and distribution model is what you pay for.  I doubt you can tell them here is the recording I paid for and I only want it sold in three of the 50 ways you can sell it.  They can and do deviate from this but it is very rare (such as them commissioning Maxwell Davies' Naxos quartets). 
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2018, 01:48:13 pm »

https://www.mdt.co.uk/johnson-david-hackbridge-orchestral-music-orchestra-paul-mann-toccata-classics.html

Heavens above! Hackbridge Johnson's Symphonies Nos. 10 and 13 :) And this time Martin Anderson has got the RSNO to record these symphonies. (Where does the money come from- hiring the RSNO will not come cheap!)

Anyway.......with the Richard Rodney Bennett 2nd in July and the Wordsworth 4th and 8th in June 'tis a summer for unrecorded British symphonies ;D

(oh, and btw the Thomas Wilson Symphonies Nos. 3 and 4 are due for release from Linn in September and the Fifth Symphony is being recorded soon).

.......and  ;D the Franz Reizenstein Cello Concerto will be coming from CPO in June :)
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2018, 01:03:20 pm »

Well, I thought that the Robin Walker CD was great and had a nice email exchange with him (as I did with the late Arnold Rosner). The Walker works reminded me of Jon Leifs the Icelandic composer. Totally agree with Colin on this one (as with much else besides). My new Toccata discovery is 'Sinfonia Pascale' (Symphony 3) by Philip Spratley. A powerful, tonal work, the Brucknerian ending of which had me on the edge of my seat. I have played it over and over again. Stylistically it also reminded me a bit of that fine Finnish composer Einar Englund.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2018, 11:07:34 pm »

Toccata has told me that Shebalin's volume II will be soon released at last.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2018, 11:57:14 pm »

Well, I thought that the Robin Walker CD was great and had a nice email exchange with him (as I did with the late Arnold Rosner). The Walker works reminded me of Jon Leifs the Icelandic composer. Totally agree with Colin on this one (as with much else besides). My new Toccata discovery is 'Sinfonia Pascale' (Symphony 3) by Philip Spratley. A powerful, tonal work, the Brucknerian ending of which had me on the edge of my seat. I have played it over and over again. Stylistically it also reminded me a bit of that fine Finnish composer Einar Englund.

I am so glad that you liked the Robin Walker, Jeffrey :)
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2018, 08:19:47 pm »

I am so glad that you liked the Robin Walker, Jeffrey :)
Thanks Colin.   :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2018, 10:49:52 pm »

The new Wordsworth disc fully lives up to expectations :) As I listened to the Divertimento I wondered whether the Latvian orchestra might be somewhat feeling their way in music which would of course be totally unfamiliar to them but they seem to get inside the idiom.

The revelation is the Symphony No.8 "Pax Hominibus". Less in thrall to Sibelius than the earlier symphonies this last of Wordsworth's eight is almost Rubbra esque in the way it proceeds with a measured pace and certainty to its enigmatic conclusion. And how imaginative of Toccata to give us the second movement twice with its alternative endings.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2018, 11:23:25 pm »

And how imaginative of Toccata to give us the second movement twice with its alternative endings.

As opposed to bonus tracks that can't be played, perhaps??? ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2018, 09:58:49 am »

Indeed!!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2018, 03:54:50 pm »

I have just listened to the new Toccata cd with the David Hackbridge Johnson Symphonies Nos. 10 and 13.

Maybe it is my mood but quite honestly I cannot make anything of them at all. Too dense and intractable for me. I just do not understand what the composer is trying to say :(
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2018, 05:20:09 pm »

But it's to your credit that you gave DHJ's symphonies a hearing. I hope they may grow on you?  It's true, his sound world is not a simple one.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2018, 06:52:55 pm »

Oh I shall certainly try
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2018, 04:02:45 pm »

I have just listened to the new Toccata cd with the David Hackbridge Johnson Symphonies Nos. 10 and 13.

Maybe it is my mood but quite honestly I cannot make anything of them at all. Too dense and intractable for me. I just do not understand what the composer is trying to say :(

I guess its not yet available in the US for me to tell you if you should give it another chance. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: