The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:36:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

"Recent" Toccata Releases

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Recent" Toccata Releases  (Read 6468 times)
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2018, 01:20:17 am »

Toccata has emerged as one of my favorite record labels.  I love their mission, quality, and support their releases.  There are very few of their releases I regret owning.  Whatever their approach, it works for me.
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2018, 05:09:53 pm »

The William Wordsworth cd is due for release on 1st June.

and can be listened to in full on their website  ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2018, 02:45:35 pm »

Which is incredibly generous of the company! Is it wise from a strictly commercial point of view? I don't know. Clearly Toccata think so.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2018, 11:09:17 pm »

Which is incredibly generous of the company! Is it wise from a strictly commercial point of view? I don't know. Clearly Toccata think so.

Given that virtually the entire Toccata catalogue seems to be posted on YouTube (with or without their authorization I do not know) commercial considerations would be moot, don't you think?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2018, 11:49:22 am »

There is nothing like having the actual cd on your shelves and you get the booklet notes. Toccata deserve my money to encourage their enterprise.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2018, 04:46:22 pm »

There is nothing like having the actual cd on your shelves and you get the booklet notes. Toccata deserve my money to encourage their enterprise.

I agree.  YouTube is no substitute for owning the CD's of music I'm drawn to, and (as you say) the labels need our support to continue their work.
Nonetheless, it's certainly most useful to hear things in advance for the sake of buying decisions, and I don't believe I've ever (a single time) searched
for a Toccata release on YouTube and not found it, so have to believe they're at least complicit in the arrangement.  In the long run, I purchase more
when not wary of making mistakes.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2018, 10:24:10 pm »

There are, in fact, a great many Toccata recordings NOT on Youtube. The Cotter Nixon disks, most of the Charles O'Brien releases, Ferdinand Thieriot. Etc.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2018, 02:21:08 am »

There are, in fact, a great many Toccata recordings NOT on Youtube. The Cotter Nixon disks, most of the Charles O'Brien releases, Ferdinand Thieriot. Etc.

You may be right, of course (I've not systematically gone through the Toccata catalogue and checked for every CD on YouTube, - just those that interest me), -  but I DO see both Volume 1 & Volume 2 of the Cotter Nixon Orchestral Works there.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2018, 08:27:39 am »

Well I can't find them, I'm afraid. Are you using the US site perhaps? Would be glad for a link.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2018, 12:51:56 pm »

So there are videos put up on You Tube in the USA which cannot be watched in the UK? Interesting. I suspected something of the kind.

Folk who post cd recordings of music on You Tube when those cds are still commercially available are helping to kill small record labels imho.There may be an argument that people go out and buy the cd after hearing it in its entirety on YT but how many more will just download the music for free thus depriving the company of income?

Of course I have downloaded enormous (ridiculous in fact!) amounts of music but in most cases from radio broadcasts or from LPs long out of circulation. In those (few) cases when I downloaded a cd it was of music I honestly would never have bought and even then I felt very guilty

Anyway....the download button on You Tube seems to have been removed from music videos. There are free YT download programmes but they inevitably have "nasty" stuff embedded and end up messing with my pc
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2018, 03:07:49 pm »

Well I can't find them, I'm afraid. Are you using the US site perhaps? Would be glad for a link.

Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2018, 04:37:23 pm »

Clicking on the video link you uploaded produces the message: This video is not available.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2018, 04:37:48 pm »

So there are videos put up on You Tube in the USA which cannot be watched in the UK? Interesting. I suspected something of the kind.

Folk who post cd recordings of music on You Tube when those cds are still commercially available are helping to kill small record labels imho.There may be an argument that people go out and buy the cd after hearing it in its entirety on YT but how many more will just download the music for free thus depriving the company of income?

The thing is though (as I've just begun to observe), that all the Toccata releases I see on YouTube indicate "provided to YouTube by Naxos of America" (Toccata's distributor here).  They're not being posted by individuals.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2018, 05:31:43 pm »

I wonder if Martin Anderson is aware of this.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2018, 06:01:04 pm »

How could he not be?  Toccata owns the recordings.  Would Naxos post these to YouTube without his express authorization or instruction?

I presume this a deliberate marketing tool by Toccata/Naxos, - and with me a successful one.  I've purchased perhaps two to three dozen Toccata CD's after first listening to the music on YouTube, most of which I would be unlikely to take a chance on without such allowance. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: