The Art-Music Forum
June 22, 2018, 12:03:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

"Recent" Toccata Releases

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Recent" Toccata Releases  (Read 2362 times)
dhibbard
Level 7

Times thanked: 43

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2018, 03:41:25 pm »

In fact, I just got my invite to the next Tubin Society meeting in May at the Estonian Academy of Music.   That should be a great opportunity to ask around about the Lemba release. 
Report Spam   Logged
Latvian
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2018, 10:24:01 pm »

I recall Andre Previn saying that his ambition was to hear every piece of music ever written. A worthy aim, even if he didn't do much to realise it. Unless one explores, one doesn't know what interesting things are hidden in the shadows.

On a somewhat related topic:

A number of years ago, Martin Anderson mentioned that a conductor friend of his had smugly declared that he planned to record every sinfonietta ever written (obviously believing there weren't all that many). I did some quick research and sent him a list of over 400 composers who had written sinfoniettas (and I'm sure the number is actually substantially higher). Martin was pleased to present the list to his friend and set him straight. Obviously the project never materialized.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2018, 07:02:13 pm »

I recall Andre Previn saying that his ambition was to hear every piece of music ever written. A worthy aim, even if he didn't do much to realise it. Unless one explores, one doesn't know what interesting things are hidden in the shadows.

On a somewhat related topic:

A number of years ago, Martin Anderson mentioned that a conductor friend of his had smugly declared that he planned to record every sinfonietta ever written (obviously believing there weren't all that many). I did some quick research and sent him a list of over 400 composers who had written sinfoniettas (and I'm sure the number is actually substantially higher). Martin was pleased to present the list to his friend and set him straight. Obviously the project never materialized.  Wink

yes I wondered if that was all "puff" also    He was very aware of the composer and his works.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 3

Times thanked: 19

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018, 02:06:13 pm »

I don't understand the mention of a second Lemba disk on Toccata. I can't find the composer listed at all on the Toccata website. Have I misunderstood, or am I missing something?
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 08:14:42 pm »

"I recall Andre Previn saying that his ambition was to hear every piece of music ever written. A worthy aim, even if he didn't do much to realise it."

How do you know he didn't do much to realise it? and he is still alive, so he could still be listening.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 52

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2018, 06:54:24 pm »

"I recall Andre Previn saying that his ambition was to hear every piece of music ever written. A worthy aim, even if he didn't do much to realise it."

How do you know he didn't do much to realise it? and he is still alive, so he could still be listening.

How often did he ever perform works off the standard repertoire? Not very often that I ever heard.
Report Spam   Logged
Greg K
Level 4

Times thanked: 27

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2018, 10:02:14 pm »

How often did he ever perform works off the standard repertoire? Not very often that I ever heard.

Does anyone?
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 09:16:07 am »

No, but not everyone has expressed such an ambition.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 94

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2018, 03:53:39 am »

I thought that I should add that the more I listen to the Rodney Newton disc the more impressed I am. The Symphony No.4 certainly repays careful study and "Distant Nebulae" is a really beautiful short piece.

I would certainly recommend the disc to others.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2018, 10:36:28 pm »

The Steve Elcock also has considerable merits!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 94

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 06:16:23 pm »

I am now listening to a slightly earlier Toccata release - music by Robin Walker played by the New Russia SO conducted by Alexander Walker (no relation)- the orchestra now being used by Naxos to record Havergal Brian.

Extraordinary music! The longest piece is the Symphonic Poem "The Stone Maker" but all four works on the disc sound as if they are being hewn out of mighty stone cliffs Granitic, indeed  Powerful brass chords grinding through the fabric of the music in grim procession. I would not imagine it would be to everyone's taste. There is a wierd clash between the modernism which Walker seems to be trying to abandon (he talks about Birtwistle and David Lumsdaine), the influence of Sibelius and an impressive modal tonality.

I might have thought some of it slightly too "modern" for my tastes but there is a strange hypnotic fascination, almost as if it was minimalist without actually being minimalist.

Anyone tempted might be well-advised to sample first. It is not "easy" music but I must admit to finding it powerfully impressive
.....and it is superbly played by this exceptional Russian orchestra and their brilliant British conductor!!
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 08:12:24 pm »

Nothing on the release of the additional Lemba CD of orchestral works.   

I'm sorry to keep on about this, but WHAT 2nd Lemba CD? - And WHAT FIRST Lemba CD, come to that?
Report Spam   Logged
Latvian
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 09:11:00 pm »

Nothing on the release of the additional Lemba CD of orchestral works.

I'm sorry to keep on about this, but WHAT 2nd Lemba CD? - And WHAT FIRST Lemba CD, come to that?

Yes, please do explain -- I'm completely unaware of these releases. Who issued them? What is on them? Who are the performers? There is nothing in Amazon, nothing on Lemba's page at the Estonian Music Information Center, and no entries on Discogs newer than the 2005 Chandos release. I enjoy Lemba's music and am very interested in any new releases.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2018, 11:21:06 pm »

In fact, I just got my invite to the next Tubin Society meeting in May at the Estonian Academy of Music.   That should be a great opportunity to ask around about the Lemba release. 

OK let me explain....  you may already have the Artur Lemba CD (this has nothing to do with Toccata Records).. it was released on Chandos  ("Music from Estonia“, Chandos (2005). Royal Scottish National Orchestra, conductor Neeme Järvi).   

As a member of the Tubin Society, every year they present information at the meeting about Tubin  (planned recordings, new recordings, and planned performances), and planned recordings and performances of other Estonian Composers.   One of the planned recordings and performances on the list, was a second CD of Lemba's music that included the Symphony no 2, Estonian Rhapsodies and I believe the Symphonic Poem.    I remember some discussions that the Symphony #2 manuscript is held at the Estonian Theatre Museum, so perhaps it would either be the ERSO or Estonian National Opera Orchestra that would record it.  I'll ask about it.   I checked the emic and didn't see any information about it.     I'm starting to wonder if these works  were performed by either the ERSO or ENOO and the tapes are just waiting to be mastered for a CD release......  I will inquire when I go there in May. 

Here is info about the Symphony no 2 from the emic.ee  website:

Title: Symphony No. 2 in F minor
Genre: Works for symphony orchestra
Instrumentation: symphony orchestra: 3322, 4231, 1+2, harp, strings
Number of movements: 3
Titles of movements:
1. Allegro moderato
2. Scherzo. Presto
3. Grave

Year: 1923.

Manuscripts

Type of manuscript: Copy of manuscript
Sort: Score
Composer: Lemba, Artur
Work: Symphony No. 2 in F minor
Number of pages: 130
Date: 1923

Number: ETMM_8435 M 160:2/4

Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2018, 12:21:42 am »

Thank you for that clarification. IMHO Lemba's music is extremely good. I would love to hear (and see) more of it. I am trying to interest Hyperion in his piano concerti.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: