The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:27:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

"Recent" Toccata Releases

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Recent" Toccata Releases  (Read 6306 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 06:54:24 pm »

"I recall Andre Previn saying that his ambition was to hear every piece of music ever written. A worthy aim, even if he didn't do much to realise it."

How do you know he didn't do much to realise it? and he is still alive, so he could still be listening.

How often did he ever perform works off the standard repertoire? Not very often that I ever heard.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 10:02:14 pm »

"I recall Andre Previn saying that his ambition was to hear every piece of music ever written. A worthy aim, even if he didn't do much to realise it."

How do you know he didn't do much to realise it? and he is still alive, so he could still be listening.

How often did he ever perform works off the standard repertoire? Not very often that I ever heard.

Does anyone?
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 09:16:07 am »

No, but not everyone has expressed such an ambition.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2018, 03:53:39 am »

I thought that I should add that the more I listen to the Rodney Newton disc the more impressed I am. The Symphony No.4 certainly repays careful study and "Distant Nebulae" is a really beautiful short piece.

I would certainly recommend the disc to others.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2018, 10:36:28 pm »

The Steve Elcock also has considerable merits!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2018, 06:16:23 pm »

I am now listening to a slightly earlier Toccata release - music by Robin Walker played by the New Russia SO conducted by Alexander Walker (no relation)- the orchestra now being used by Naxos to record Havergal Brian.

Extraordinary music! The longest piece is the Symphonic Poem "The Stone Maker" but all four works on the disc sound as if they are being hewn out of mighty stone cliffs Granitic, indeed  Powerful brass chords grinding through the fabric of the music in grim procession. I would not imagine it would be to everyone's taste. There is a wierd clash between the modernism which Walker seems to be trying to abandon (he talks about Birtwistle and David Lumsdaine), the influence of Sibelius and an impressive modal tonality.

I might have thought some of it slightly too "modern" for my tastes but there is a strange hypnotic fascination, almost as if it was minimalist without actually being minimalist.

Anyone tempted might be well-advised to sample first. It is not "easy" music but I must admit to finding it powerfully impressive
.....and it is superbly played by this exceptional Russian orchestra and their brilliant British conductor!!
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2018, 08:12:24 pm »

Nothing on the release of the additional Lemba CD of orchestral works.   

I'm sorry to keep on about this, but WHAT 2nd Lemba CD? - And WHAT FIRST Lemba CD, come to that?
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2018, 09:11:00 pm »

Nothing on the release of the additional Lemba CD of orchestral works.

I'm sorry to keep on about this, but WHAT 2nd Lemba CD? - And WHAT FIRST Lemba CD, come to that?

Yes, please do explain -- I'm completely unaware of these releases. Who issued them? What is on them? Who are the performers? There is nothing in Amazon, nothing on Lemba's page at the Estonian Music Information Center, and no entries on Discogs newer than the 2005 Chandos release. I enjoy Lemba's music and am very interested in any new releases.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 12:21:42 am »

Thank you for that clarification. IMHO Lemba's music is extremely good. I would love to hear (and see) more of it. I am trying to interest Hyperion in his piano concerti.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 01:25:13 am »

The clarification regarding Artur Lemba is certainly welcome. As I understand it Toccata Classics has not released and has no plans to release any Lemba.

So.......if we can return (at least sort of ;D ) to the topic of this thread :):

I see from Toccata's website that a further disc of music by David Hackbridge Johnson is in preparation. The Liepaja Symphony Orchestra under Paul Mann recorded Two Elegies for strings and harp and two tone poems "Ziggurats" and "Aspens" last year and the composer implies that the disc will also include a new symphony to be recorded this year.

Toccata has a good history of getting new recordings onto disc very quickly so it should not be long before the William Wordsworth Symphonies Nos. 4 and 8 are with us :)

,,,,,and (properly back on topic ;D) I am very much interested in the new disc of music by the splendid Arnold Rosner: Five Ko-ans for orchestra, "Unravelling Dances" and "The Parable of the Law" for baritone and orchestra. Rosner's rich modality and the grandeur of his music has an especial appeal to my ears. This is a disc I shall certainly purchase very soon. Has anyone already bought it?
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2018, 01:50:28 am »

The Arnold Rosner orchestral music vol 2 is excellent.  You'll love it.  Exciting music, modal, RVW references a plenty.  5 Koans reminds me somewhat of John Foulds 3 mantras.  The music is very rich, with a quasi religioso feel.  I'm a fan of toccata.  I like very many of their releases of people I've never heard of and this one doesn't disappoint. 
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2018, 02:57:07 am »

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate the feedback and it certainly encourages me to buy the cd asap
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2018, 05:36:57 pm »

It does but I continue to find the Symphony No.3 quite a hard nut to crack and I do think that Martin Anderson's assertion that "it has to be some of the best orchestral music written by a British composer in the past half-century" rather hyperbolic. The Festive Overture however is delightful- Waltonian exuberance at its best
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2018, 08:01:36 am »

It does but I continue to find the Symphony No.3 quite a hard nut to crack and I do think that Martin Anderson's assertion that "it has to be some of the best orchestral music written by a British composer in the past half-century" rather hyperbolic. The Festive Overture however is delightful- Waltonian exuberance at its best
I agree with Colin here and was disappointed by the symphony. Robin Walker's music on a new Toccata release, which I have ordered, sounds more promising from the samples I have heard.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2018, 09:40:56 pm »

The William Wordsworth cd is due for release on 1st June.

https://toccataclassics.com/product/william-wordsworth-orchestral-music-volume-one/
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: