The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:17:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

"Servilia" - opera by Rimsky-Korsakov

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Servilia" - opera by Rimsky-Korsakov  (Read 6614 times)
Demetrius
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 05:41:32 pm »

Sorry, should have been more clear. On YouTube there are a couple of short video clips - one from a modern production by Junge Oper Hannover, posted last year.

And there's one that actually turns out to be a crowdfunding promo from 2015. It was to fund Opera for Bulgaria (?) to produce Puss in Boots and Little Red Riding Hood by Cui. I don't know if anything came of it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 10:40:02 am »

Sorry, should have been more clear. On YouTube there are a couple of short video clips - one from a modern production by Junge Oper Hannover, posted last year.

And there's one that actually turns out to be a crowdfunding promo from 2015. It was to fund Opera for Bulgaria (?) to produce Puss in Boots and Little Red Riding Hood by Cui. I don't know if anything came of it.

Thanks - do you have the links for these?
Report Spam   Logged
Hattoff
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 06:48:24 pm »

Thank you all. I'm very interested in Russian opera. I've ordered the Cui " Puss in Boots". Should I getn The Serov "Judith"?
Report Spam   Logged
Demetrius
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2017, 12:44:29 pm »

Thanks - do you have the links for these?

Report Spam   Logged
Demetrius
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2017, 12:51:10 pm »

Thank you all. I'm very interested in Russian opera. I've ordered the Cui " Puss in Boots". Should I getn The Serov "Judith"?

I haven't listened to it for several years. It's no rediscovered masterpiece but I did enjoy it, I recall. Now it's been reissued by Brilliant at a low price, it's definitely worth taking a punt if you're curious.
Report Spam   Logged
Hattoff
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 11:39:13 am »

Okay, Many thanks. I'll order it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2017, 12:23:46 pm »

Yes it's enjoyable.  Holofernes's War Song is a highlight - it's sung powerfully here by Boris Gmyria -
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2018, 04:26:44 pm »

Back to Servilia, this was posted recently on another site:

Servilia was recorded by the Pokrovsky Chamber Opera on the Mosfilm Cinema studio in 2016. The theatre did not have any definite obligations with any sound recording company, the talks have been carrying out but without any result. So up to now there is no contract with any sound recording firm and it means that no firm is planning to release the recording.

All rights to the recording belong to Gennady Rozhdestvensky (not to the Chamber Opera) and now he stopped any talks concerning this case. It occurred after the decision by the Ministry of Culture in Russia to join Chamber Opera to the Bolshoi Theatre. Maybe you have heard about this scandalous situation. The Chamber Opera works and exists till the June of this year and after that it becomes a part of the Bolshoi. It's the end of this institution with unique repertory and it's very sad.

Perhaps it sounds ridiculous, but it seems to me that Rozhdestvensky has taken offense at the Ministry and at the Bolshoi Theatre. Still his position concerning accession of one theater to another isn't known. He just is silent and doesn't make any contact. That is the difficult situation in general and about Servilia's recording just nobody already remembers.

If bad news always represents an opportunity for someone else , and in the knowledge that several members here have good and strong relationships with recording companies.... This sorry episode might be unknown outside Moscow.  Might a record label over here be interested enough to make an approach to Mr Rozhdestvensky and see if he could be prevailed upon to sell his rights to the recording?  Would members here with the contacts be ready to raise this with the labels with which they have contacts?

From their point of view, Rimsky-Korsakov should be seen as a composer who "sells".
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2018, 09:40:41 pm »

Complete recording of Servilia:

Report Spam   Logged
guest744
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2018, 04:15:42 pm »

With regard to the libretto of Servilia, I have compiled, if that's the right word, a 2-column (Russian and English) complete table of the texts. Knowing a smattering of Russian, marrying the Russian to the English was not difficult. I'd be quite happy to email the results to anyone; however, I have no idea what copyrights I'd be infringing. Like a few others on here, that completes my "collection" of the 15 R-K operas, but I have to say it does seem self-evident to me why the work has fallen into obscurity. Never mind! On the subject of Snow Maiden, I recently bought the Decca Grand Opera set and was astounded at the quality of the (genuine stereo) recording, considering it was recorded in 1955. Not quite up to the Solti Rheingold (1958), but very natural sounding. It can't really compete with Fedoseyev on HMV SLS but it's still worth having. By the way, the Servilia Russian text is in Cyrillic script. Well worth clueing up on that!
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2018, 05:13:57 pm »

just a note  S Taneyev:  The Oresteia  was released on the Olympia label in the 1990s  and I think you can still find it on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sergei-Taneyev-Oresteia-New-Music/232724468896?epid=218475480&hash=item362f7594a0:g:clgAAOSwA3dYiK8g
Report Spam   Logged
Dimana
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2018, 10:00:30 pm »

More recently, Taneyev's Oresteia has been issued in 2015 on Melodiya:
https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8078548--taneyev-s-oresteia
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2018, 12:40:31 pm »

just a note  S Taneyev:  The Oresteia  was released on the Olympia label in the 1990s  and I think you can still find it on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sergei-Taneyev-Oresteia-New-Music/232724468896?epid=218475480&hash=item362f7594a0:g:clgAAOSwA3dYiK8g

Why is this in a thread about Rimsky-Korsakov's "Servilia"?  Is there a connection?  If not, shouldn't it be in its own thread so that people with an interest in it stand a greater chance of coming across it?
Report Spam   Logged
Hattoff
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2018, 04:23:32 pm »

With regard to the libretto of Servilia, I have compiled, if that's the right word, a 2-column (Russian and English) complete table of the texts. Knowing a smattering of Russian, marrying the Russian to the English was not difficult. I'd be quite happy to email the results to anyone; however, I have no idea what copyrights I'd be infringing. Like a few others on here, that completes my "collection" of the 15 R-K operas, but I have to say it does seem self-evident to me why the work has fallen into obscurity. Never mind! On the subject of Snow Maiden, I recently bought the Decca Grand Opera set and was astounded at the quality of the (genuine stereo) recording, considering it was recorded in 1955. Not quite up to the Solti Rheingold (1958), but very natural sounding. It can't really compete with Fedoseyev on HMV SLS but it's still worth having. By the way, the Servilia Russian text is in Cyrillic script. Well worth clueing up on that!

Thank you very much for your offer but I will not take it up. In around 90% of the operas I listen to I have no idea of the the story because, mostly, they are are poor or trivial: I'd hate to be disabused of this theory because then I would not enjoy the music. But, Thank you so much, I really appreciate your effort.

I was unable to reply directly to your email for some strange technical reason.

Hattoff
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: