The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:27:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

"Recent" Toccata Releases

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Recent" Toccata Releases  (Read 6478 times)
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2018, 12:34:59 am »

I know of one company who signed up with a distributor who then, against the express wishes of the recording company, made their recordings available to Spotify, from which the returns are microscopic. That is why I asked.

Well, it's much more complicated than that.  Who owns the rights to the distribution?  The distribution company.  If you make a recording and work with a distribution company, you have very little control on how they distribute.  That is just an unrealistic expectation.  Most of the time, Naxos recordings are self funded and they get a cut in exchange for their presence and brand - their name recognition and distribution model is what you pay for.  I doubt you can tell them here is the recording I paid for and I only want it sold in three of the 50 ways you can sell it.  They can and do deviate from this but it is very rare (such as them commissioning Maxwell Davies' Naxos quartets). 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: