The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:41:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

"Recent" Toccata Releases

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Recent" Toccata Releases  (Read 6448 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 06:16:23 pm »

I am now listening to a slightly earlier Toccata release - music by Robin Walker played by the New Russia SO conducted by Alexander Walker (no relation)- the orchestra now being used by Naxos to record Havergal Brian.

Extraordinary music! The longest piece is the Symphonic Poem "The Stone Maker" but all four works on the disc sound as if they are being hewn out of mighty stone cliffs Granitic, indeed  Powerful brass chords grinding through the fabric of the music in grim procession. I would not imagine it would be to everyone's taste. There is a wierd clash between the modernism which Walker seems to be trying to abandon (he talks about Birtwistle and David Lumsdaine), the influence of Sibelius and an impressive modal tonality.

I might have thought some of it slightly too "modern" for my tastes but there is a strange hypnotic fascination, almost as if it was minimalist without actually being minimalist.

Anyone tempted might be well-advised to sample first. It is not "easy" music but I must admit to finding it powerfully impressive
.....and it is superbly played by this exceptional Russian orchestra and their brilliant British conductor!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: