The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:46:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A school story

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A school story  (Read 772 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2017, 03:45:25 pm »

Thank you for sharing that charming story :-)

I wonder if other members have similar accounts of early encounters with music which left a lasting effect on them?

My own school was a musical wasteland, so I didn't have any eventful musical awakenings there*.

If I had a school-years moment which 'turned me on' to classical music...   we had a next-door neighbour who was a memberships secretary for the Bach Choir. I think she had given me up as a lost cause, but one day she had a spare ticket for an Albert Hall recital by Shura Cherkassky.  I don't think I'd ever been to a professional piano recital before (not counting my piano-teacher's bumbling attempts). Cherkassky was already getting on in years by then, but it was an astounding concert, which inspired me to save my pocket-money for more concert tickets of my own. One of these was a Dufay concert by the Early Music Consort of London (David Munrow), and from there, there was no looking back   :)

[Although being made to belt-out the top lines of Handel choruses during class music lessons instilled a firm dislike for English oratorios which has lasted my whole life through. I was only decades later that I began to enjoy Handel's operas... but the oratorios remain embedded in a world of school bells and carbolic soap which I've not been able to dislodge]
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: